Multivariate density estimation using dimension reducing information and tail flattening transformations
We propose a nonparametric multiplicative bias corrected transformation estimator designed for heavy tailed data. The multiplicative correction is based on prior knowledge and has a dimension reducing effect at the same time as the original dimension of the estimation problem is retained. Adding a tail flattening transformation improves the estimation significantly-particularly in the tail-and provides significant graphical advantages by allowing the density estimation to be visualized in a simple way. The combined method is demonstrated on a fire insurance data set and in a data-driven simulation study.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degen, Matthias & Embrechts, Paul & Lambrigger, Dominik D., 2007. "The Quantitative Modeling of Operational Risk: Between G-and-H and EVT," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 265-291, November.
- Clements A. & Hurn S. & Lindsay K., 2003. "Mobius-Like Mappings and Their Use in Kernel Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 993-1000, January.
- Oliver Linton & Jens Perch Nielsen & Søren Feodor Nielsen, 2009.
"Non-parametric regression with a latent time series,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 187-207, 07.
- Oliver Linton & Søren Feodor Nielsen & Jens Perch Nielsen, 2009. "Nonparametric Regression with a Latent Time Series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 538, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Li, Deyuan & Peng, Liang, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit test for tail copulas modeled by elliptical copulas," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 1097-1104, April.
- J. Gustafsson & M. Hagmann & J.P. Nielsen & O. Scaillet, 2006.
"Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
06-32, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Jun 2007.
- Gustafsson, J. & Hagmann, M. & Nielsen, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2009. "Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 161-175.
- Bolancé, Catalina & Guillén, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2008. "Inverse beta transformation in kernel density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(13), pages 1757-1764, September.
- Montserrat Guillen & Jim Gustafsson & Jens Perch Nielsen & Paul Pritchard, 2007. "Using External Data in Operational Risk," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 32(2), pages 178-189, April.
- Gebizlioglu, Omer L. & Yagci, Banu, 2008. "Tolerance intervals for quantiles of bivariate risks and risk measurement," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1022-1027, June.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2003.
"Kernel density estimation of actuarial loss functions,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 19-36, February.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Perch Nielsen, Jens, 2000. "Kernel Density Estimation of Actuarial Loss Functions," Finance Working Papers 00-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Brodin, Erik & Rootzén, Holger, 2009. "Univariate and bivariate GPD methods for predicting extreme wind storm losses," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 345-356, June.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Dhaene, Jan & Maj, Mateusz & Vanduffel, Steven, 2009. "Bounds and approximations for sums of dependent log-elliptical random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 385-397, June.
- Ingrid K. Glad, 2003. "Correction of Density Estimators that are not Densities," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(2), pages 415-427.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2008. "Tail asymptotic results for elliptical distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 158-164, August.
- Genest, Christian & Gerber, Hans U. & Goovaerts, Marc J. & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2009. "Editorial to the special issue on modeling and measurement of multivariate risk in insurance and finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 143-145, April.
- Kabir Dutta & Jason Perry, 2006. "A tale of tails: an empirical analysis of loss distribution models for estimating operational risk capital," Working Papers 06-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Furman, Edward & Landsman, Zinoviy, 2010. "Multivariate Tweedie distributions and some related capital-at-risk analyses," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 351-361, April.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Pelican, Elena & Vernic, Raluca, 2008. "Skewed bivariate models and nonparametric estimation for the CTE risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 386-393, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:48:y:2011:i:1:p:99-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.