An introduction to parametric and non-parametric models for bivariate positive insurance claim severity distributions
We present a real data set of claims amounts where costs related to damage are recorded separately from those related to medical expenses. Only claims with positive costs are considered here. Two approaches to density estimation are presented: a classical parametric and a semi-parametric method, based on transformation kernel density estimation. We explore the data set with standard univariate methods. We also propose ways to select the bandwidth and transformation parameters in the univariate case based on Bayesian methods. We indicate how to compare the results of alternative methods both looking at the shape of the overall density domain and exploring the density estimates in the right tail.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fundació Bosch i Gimpera, C. Baldiri i Reixac, 4-8, 08028 Barcelona|
Web page: http://www.xreap.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3009-3031, July.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2003.
"Kernel density estimation of actuarial loss functions,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 19-36, February.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Perch Nielsen, Jens, 2000. "Kernel Density Estimation of Actuarial Loss Functions," Finance Working Papers 00-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Pelican, Elena & Vernic, Raluca, 2008. "Skewed bivariate models and nonparametric estimation for the CTE risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 386-393, December.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Chernih, Andrew, 2003. "Wang's capital allocation formula for elliptically contoured distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 517-532, December.
- Bolancé, Catalina & Guillén, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2008. "Inverse beta transformation in kernel density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(13), pages 1757-1764, September.
- Clements A. & Hurn S. & Lindsay K., 2003. "Mobius-Like Mappings and Their Use in Kernel Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 993-1000, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrp:wpaper:xreap2010-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XREAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.