The Copula Approach to Sample Selection Modelling: An Application to the Recreational Value of Forests
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Andreas Kontoleon & Timothy Swanson, 2003. "The Willingness to Pay for Property Rights for the Giant Panda: Can a Charismatic Species Be an Instrument for Nature Conservation?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(4), pages 483-499.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1974. "Wage Comparisons-A Selectivity Bias," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1119-1143, Nov.-Dec..
- Patrick Puhani, 2000.
"The Heckman Correction for Sample Selection and Its Critique,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1997. "Foul or Fair? The Heckman Correction for Sample Selection and Its Critique. A Short Survey," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-07, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-512, March.
- Siu Fai Leung & Shihti Yu, 2000.
"Collinearity and Two-Step Estimation of Sample Selection Models: Problems, Origins, and Remedies,"
Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 15(3), pages 173-199, June.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1996. "Collinearity and Two-Step Estimation of Sample Selection Models: Problems, Origins and Remedies," RCER Working Papers 419, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lung-Fei Lee, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 355-372.
- Begona Alvarez-Farizo, 1999. "Estimating the Benefits of Agri-environmental Policy: Econometric Issues in Open-ended Contingent Valuation Studies," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 23-43.
- Elisabetta Strazzera & Riccardo Scarpa & Pinuccia Calia & Guy Garrod & Kenneth Willis, 2003. "Modelling zero values and protest responses in contingent valuation surveys," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 133-138.
- Murray D. Smith, 2003. "Modelling sample selection using Archimedean copulas," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 99-123, June.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-333, March.
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996.
"On the choice between sample selection and two-part models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992. "On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models," RCER Working Papers 337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- Maria Fraga O. Martins, 2001. "Parametric and semiparametric estimation of sample selection models: an empirical application to the female labour force in Portugal," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 23-39.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Elisabetta Strazzera & Margarita Genius & Riccardo Scarpa & George Hutchinson, "undated". "The Effect Of Protest Votes On The Estimates Of Willingness To Pay For Use Values Of Recreational Sites," Working Papers 0106, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Cam Donaldson & Andrew Jones & Tracy Mapp & Jan Abel Olson, 1998. "Limited dependent variables in willingness to pay studies: applications in health care," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 667-677.
- Pagan, Adrian & Vella, Frank, 1989. "Diagnostic Tests for Models Based on Individual Data: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages 29-59, Supplemen.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yu, Lining & Voit, Eberhard O., 2006. "Construction of bivariate S-distributions with copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1822-1839, December.
- Kostov, Philip & Patton, Myles & Moss, Joan E. & McErlean, Seamus, 2005.
"Does Gibrat's Law Hold Amongst Dairy Farmers in Northern Ireland?,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24775, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kostov, Philip & Patton, Myles & Moss, Joan & McErlean, Seamus, 2006. "Does Gibrat’s law hold amongst dairy farmers in Northern Ireland?," MPRA Paper 3370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Genius & E. Strazzera, 2005. "Modeling Elicitation effects in contingent valuation studies: a Monte Carlo Analysis of the bivariate approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200502, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Penikas, H., 2010. "Financial Applications of Copula-Models," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 7, pages 24-44.
- G. Marletto, 2006. "La politica dei trasporti come politica per l'innovazione: spunti da un approccio evolutivo," Working Paper CRENoS 200605, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Casey Quinn, 2005. "Generalisable regression methods for costeffectiveness using copulas," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 05/13, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- OA Carboni & G. Medda, 2007. "Government Size and the Composition of Public Spending in a Neoclassical Growth Model," Working Paper CRENoS 200701, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Margarita Genius & Elisabetta Strazzera, 2008. "Applying the copula approach to sample selection modelling," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(11), pages 1443-1455.
- M. Genius & E. Strazzera, 2003. "The copula approach of sampling selection modelling: an application to the recreational value of forests," Working Paper CRENoS 200308, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Hasebe, Takuya & Vijverberg, Wim P., 2012. "A Flexible Sample Selection Model: A GTL-Copula Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 7003, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Claudia PIGINI, 2012. "Of Butterflies and Caterpillars: Bivariate Normality in the Sample Selection Model," Working Papers 377, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Mark Pennington & Manuel Gomes & Cam Donaldson, 2017. "Handling Protest Responses in Contingent Valuation Surveys," Medical Decision Making, , vol. 37(6), pages 623-634, August.
- Elisabetta Strazzera & Margarita Genius & Riccardo Scarpa & George Hutchinson, 2003. "The Effect of Protest Votes on the Estimates of WTP for Use Values of Recreational Sites," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(4), pages 461-476, August.
- Sun, Chuanwang & Yuan, Xiang & Yao, Xin, 2016. "Social acceptance towards the air pollution in China: Evidence from public's willingness to pay for smog mitigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 313-324.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Siyi Luo, 2018.
"Distribution regression with sample selection, with an application to wage decompositions in the UK,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP68/18, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Iv'an Fern'andez-Val & Siyi Luo, 2018. "Distribution Regression with Sample Selection, with an Application to Wage Decompositions in the UK," Papers 1811.11603, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2022.
- Emmanuel O. Ogundimu & Jane L. Hutton, 2016. "A Sample Selection Model with Skew-normal Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 43(1), pages 172-190, March.
- Seonho Shin, 2022. "To work or not? Wages or subsidies?: Copula-based evidence of subsidized refugees’ negative selection into employment," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 63(4), pages 2209-2252, October.
- Marra, Giampiero & Radice, Rosalba, 2013. "Estimation of a regression spline sample selection model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 158-173.
- Mikhail Zhelonkin & Marc G. Genton & Elvezio Ronchetti, 2016. "Robust inference in sample selection models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 78(4), pages 805-827, September.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Eluru, Naveen, 2009. "A copula-based approach to accommodate residential self-selection effects in travel behavior modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 749-765, August.
- William Fonta & H. Ichoku & Jane Kabubo-Mariara, 2010. "The effect of protest zeros on estimates of willingness to pay in healthcare contingent valuation analysis," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 225-237, July.
- James E. Prieger, "undated".
"A Generalized Parametric Selection Model for Non-Normal Data,"
Department of Economics
00-09, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "A Generalized Parametric Selection Model for Non-Normal Data," Working Papers 9, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Marjan Petreski & Nikica Blazevski & Blagica Petreski, 2014.
"Gender Wage Gap when Women are Highly Inactive: Evidence from Repeated Imputations with Macedonian Data,"
Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 393-411, December.
- Petreski, Marjan & Mojsoska-Blazevski, Nikica & Petreski, Blagica, 2014. "Gender wage gap when women are highly inactive: Evidence from repeated imputations with Macedonian data," MPRA Paper 57226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bilgic, Abdulbaki & Florkowski, Wojciech J., 2003. "Explaning Anglers Behavior Using Count Data Models With Endogenous Switching Regime," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22087, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wiemann, Paul F.V. & Klein, Nadja & Kneib, Thomas, 2022. "Correcting for sample selection bias in Bayesian distributional regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 168(C).
- Schwiebert, Jörg, 2012. "Analyzing the Composition of the Female Workforce - A Semiparametric Copula Approach," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-503, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Liu, Ruixuan & Yu, Zhengfei, 2022. "Sample selection models with monotone control functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 226(2), pages 321-342.
More about this item
KeywordsContingent valuation; Selectivity bias; Bivariate models; Copulas;
All these keywords.
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ECM-2004-07-18 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENV-2004-07-18 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2004.73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/feemmit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Alberto Prina Cerai (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/feemmit.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.