The Willingness to Pay for Property Rights for the Giant Panda: Can a Charismatic Species Be an Instrument for Nature Conservation?
This paper presents the results from a contingent valuation (CV) that elicited willingness to pay (WTP) of OECD citizens, for the conservation of the Giant Panda. The study investigates the extent to which such a charismatic or flagship species can be used to promote wider biodiversity conservation. There exists an internally consistent WTP for the purchase of property rights of the habitat required for the conservation of the panda. This WTP is shown to consist largely of the value placed on the ‘‘naturalness’’ of the species, implying that the symbolic nature of the panda might be a potential in
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loomis, John B. & White, Douglas S., 1996. "Economic benefits of rare and endangered species: summary and meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 197-206, September.
- Loomis, John B., 1988. "Broadening The Concept And Measurements Of Existence Value," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 17(1), April.
- Rollins, Kimberly & Lyke, Audrey, 1998.
"The Case for Diminishing Marginal Existence Values,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 324-344, November.
- Rollins, Kimberly & Lyke, Audrey, 1997. "The Case For Diminishing Marginal Existence Values," Working Papers 244747, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Cam Donaldson & Andrew Jones & Tracy Mapp & Jan Abel Olson, 1998. "Limited dependent variables in willingness to pay studies: applications in health care," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 667-677.
- McConnell, K. E., 1997. "Does Altruism Undermine Existence Value?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 22-37, January.
- Andrew Metrick & Martin L. Weitzman, 1996. "Patterns of Behavior in Endangered Species Preservation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-16.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:79:y:2003:i:4:p:483-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.