Do employers discriminate by gender? A field experiment in female-dominated occupations
We test for gender discrimination by sending fake CVs to apply for entry-level jobs. Female candidates are more likely to receive a callback, with the difference being largest in occupations that are more female-dominated.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Booth, Alison L. & Leigh, Andrew & Varganova, Elena, 2010.
"Does Racial and Ethnic Discrimination Vary Across Minority Groups? Evidence from a Field Experiment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4947, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alison L. Booth & Andrew Leigh & Elena Varganova, 2012. "Does Ethnic Discrimination Vary Across Minority Groups? Evidence from a Field Experiment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(4), pages 547-573, 08.
- Booth, Alison L & Leigh, Andrew & Varganova, Elena, 2010. "Does Racial and Ethnic Discrimination Vary Across Minority Groups? Evidence From a Field Experiment," CEPR Discussion Papers 7913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Manuel F. Bagüés & Berta Esteve-Volart, 2007.
"Can gender parity break the glass ceiling? Evidence from a repeated randomized experiment,"
- Manuel F. Bagues & Berta Esteve-Volart, 2010. "Can Gender Parity Break the Glass Ceiling? Evidence from a Repeated Randomized Experiment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1301-1328.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 1987.
"Testing for sexual discrimination in the labour market,"
Natural Field Experiments
00326, The Field Experiments Website.
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1987. "Testing for Sexual Discrimination in the Labour Market," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(49), pages 165-78, December.
- Riach Peter A & Rich Judith, 2006.
"An Experimental Investigation of Sexual Discrimination in Hiring in the English Labor Market,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-22, January.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 2006. "An experimental investigation of sexual discrimination in hiring in the english labor market," Natural Field Experiments 00329, The Field Experiments Website.
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1991.
"Testing for Racial Discrimination in the Labour Market,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 239-56, September.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 1991. "Testing for racial discrimination in the labour market," Natural Field Experiments 00327, The Field Experiments Website.
- Neumark, David, 1996.
"Sex Discrimination in Restaurant Hiring: An Audit Study,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 915-41, August.
- David Neumark & Roy J. Bank & Kyle D. Van Nort, 1995. "Sex Discrimination in Restaurant Hiring: An Audit Study," NBER Working Papers 5024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter A. Riach & Judith Rich, 2004. "Deceptive Field Experiments of Discrimination: Are they Ethical?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 457-470, 08.
- repec:bla:restud:v:77:y:2010:i:4:p:1301-1328 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:feb:natura:00200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joe Seidel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.