Measuring the Value of Time in Freight Transportation
This paper presents an alternative approach to measuring the values of transport time for freight transportation, and examines its applicability through empirical analysis. We develop a model of the freight transportation market, in which carriers incur the cost associated with the effort to reduce transport time, and transport time is endogenously determined in the market. We estimate the freight charge function, expressway choice model, and transport time function, using microdata of freight flow in Japan collected by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Based on the estimated freight charge function, we obtain the values of transport time for shippers as an implicit price in the hedonic theory. The estimated values of transport time for shippers are larger than those obtained by the widely adopted method based on the discrete choice model. We also develop a method to evaluate the benefit of time-saving technological change (including infrastructure improvement) based on the hedonic approach. Application to the evaluation of expressway construction suggests that the benefits calculated by our method tend to be larger than those based on the other methods.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Bergkvist & Lars Westin, 2001. "Regional valuation of infrastructure and transport attributes for Swedish road freight," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 35(4), pages 547-560.
- Jérôme Massiani, 2008. "Can we use hedonic pricing to estimate freight value of time?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- KONISHI Yoko & Se-il MUN & NISHIYAMA Yoshihiko & Ji Eun SUNG, 2012.
"Determinants of Transport Costs for Inter-regional Trade,"
12016, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Se-il Mun & Yoko Konishi & Yoshihiko Nishiyama & Ji-eun Sung, 2013. "Determinants of Transport Costs for Inter-regional Trade," ERSA conference papers ersa13p361, European Regional Science Association.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Small, Kenneth A., 2012. "Valuation of travel time," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 2-14.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:14004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (KUMAGAI, Akiko)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.