The Effect of Commuting Costs to Employment Centers on Urban Property Values: A Spatial Analysis in Bogotá, Colombia
We study the effect that changes of commuting costs to intra urban employment centers may have on property prices in Bogotá, Colombia. To explore the relationship between prices and communing costs, we use a difference in difference spatial model. Parametric and non-parametric estimations suggest a negative and significant impact of commuting costs on property values for dwellings far away from employment centers. The estimated price elasticity with respect to commuting costs for housing located in distant zones, indicates that a 1% increase in fuel price, reduces property values in 1.48%. Non-parametric Geographically Weighted Regression (GWR) showed to outperform traditional Spatial Autoregressive (SAR, SEM) models.
|Date of creation:||17 Jun 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coulson, N. Edward & Engle, Robert F., 1987. "Transportation costs and the rent gradient," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 287-297, May.
- Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2013.
"Quasi-experiments and hedonic property value methods,"
Chapters,in: Handbook on Experimental Economics and the Environment, chapter 1, pages 3-66
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2012. "Quasi-Experiments and Hedonic Property Value Methods," Working Papers 2012-7, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Carriazo, Fernando & Ready, Richard & Shortle, James, 2013. "Using stochastic frontier models to mitigate omitted variable bias in hedonic pricing models: A case study for air quality in Bogotá, Colombia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 80-88.
- Giuliano, Genevieve & Small, Kenneth A., 1991. "Subcenters in the Los Angeles region," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 163-182, July.
- Giuliano, Genevieve & Small, Kenneth A., 1991. "Subcenters in the Los Angeles Region," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7xv976dj, University of California Transportation Center.
- Giuliano, Genevieve & Small, Kenneth A., 1991. "Subcenters in the Los Angeles Region," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6ts0t95w, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brookshire, David S, et al, 1982. "Valuing Public Goods: A Comparison of Survey and Hedonic Approaches," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 165-177, March.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1996. "One Hundred Fifty Years of Land Values in Chicago: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 100-124, July.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Yves Zenou, 2003. "Space and Unemployment: The Labor-Market Effects of Spatial Mismatch," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 242-262, January.
- Brueckner, Jan & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "Space And Unemployment: The Labour-Market Effects Of Spatial Mismatch," CEPR Discussion Papers 2397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Poudyal, Neelam C. & Roberts, Roland K., 2008. "Spatial analysis of the amenity value of green open space," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 403-416, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Acharya, Gayatri & Bennett, Lynne Lewis, 2001. "Valuing Open Space and Land-Use Patterns in Urban Watersheds," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 221-237, March-May.
- Jian Zhou & Daniel P. McMillen & John F. McDonald, 2008. "Land Values and the 1957 Comprehensive Amendment to the Chicago Zoning Ordinance," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(8), pages 1647-1661, July.
- Wheaton, William C., 1974. "A comparative static analysis of urban spatial structure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 223-237, October.
- Yinger, John, 1992. "City and suburb: Urban models with more than one employment center," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 181-205, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000089:013133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.