Bank-lending constraints and alternative financing during the financial crisis: Evidence from European SMEs
The financial crisis has brought to the fore concerns regarding small- and medium-sized enterprises' (SMEs) capacity to access traditional bank lending. Using European firm-level data on SME access to finance since the onset of the financial crisis, we find that bank-lending constrained SMEs are significantly more likely to avail of alternative forms of external finance, controlling for firm-level and country-level characteristics. We then determine the implications that usage of alternative forms of finance can have for certain economically desirable business activities. In particular, we find that using alternative finance substantially reduces the likelihood of business fixed investment. This effect is not evident for business innovation.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2009.
"How does competition affect the relationship between innovation and productivity? Estimation of a CDM model for Norway,"
27591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2011. "How does competition affect the relationship between innovation and productivity? Estimation of a CDM model for Norway," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(7), pages 637-658, August.
- Toni M. Whited, 1990.
"Debt, liquidity constraints, and corporate investment: evidence from panel data,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Whited, Toni M, 1992. " Debt, Liquidity Constraints, and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1425-60, September.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Måns Söderbom & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Catherine Pattillo & Francis Teal & Albert Zeu, 2000.
"Credit constraints in manufacturing enterprises in Africa,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2000-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Patillo & Måns S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003. "Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 104-125, March.
- Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps, 2000. "Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Levine, R., 2008.
"Finance, firm size and growth,"
Other publications TiSEM
6e2b24b0-1f95-419b-96c5-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004. "Finance, Firm Size, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 10983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005. "Finance, firm size, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3485, The World Bank.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franklin Allen & Jun Qian & Meijun Qian, 2002.
"Law, Finance, and Economic Growth in China,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2010.
"The Financing of Innovative Firms,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 1(1).
- Erickson, Timothy & Whited, Toni M., 2002. "Two-Step Gmm Estimation Of The Errors-In-Variables Model Using High-Order Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 776-799, June.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2006.
"On the Accuracy of Different Measures of "q","
Financial Management Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 5-33, 09.
- Ruane, Frances & Siedschlag, Iulia, 2011. "Boosting Innovation and Productivity in Enterprises: What Works?," Papers EC3, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Allen, Franklin & Chakrabarti, Rajesh & De, Sankar & Qian, Jun & Qian, Meijun, 2006.
"Financing firms in India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3975, The World Bank.
- Love, Inessa, 2001.
"Financial development and financing constraints - international evidence from the structural investment model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2694, The World Bank.
- Inessa Love, 2003. "Financial Development and Financing Constraints: International Evidence from the Structural Investment Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 765-791, July.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2011. "Another Perspective on Gender Specific Access to Credit in Africa," IFRO Working Paper 2011/14, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Sudheer Chava & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2006.
"The effect of a banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers,"
1030, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chava, Sudheer & Purnanandam, Amiyatosh, 2011. "The effect of banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 116-135, January.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
- Guariglia, Alessandra, 2008.
"Internal financial constraints, external financial constraints, and investment choice: Evidence from a panel of UK firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1795-1809, September.
- Alessandra Guariglia, . "Internal financial constraints, external financial constraints, and investment choice: Evidence from a panel of UK firms," Discussion Papers 07/03, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Thorsten Beck, 2004.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3204, The World Bank.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Qianc, Jun â€œQJâ€ & Valenzuela, Patricio, 2013.
"Financial Intermediation, Markets, and Alternative Financial Sectors,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
- Franklin ALLEN & Elena CARLETTI & Jun 'QJ' QIAN & Patricio VALENZUELA, 2012. "Financial Intermediation, Markets, and Alternative Financial Sectors," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/11, European University Institute.
- Duffy, David & Durkan, Joe & Casey, Eddie, 2012. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Autumn 2012," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QECQEC2012AUT, December.
- Conor O'Toole & Carol Newman, 2012. "Investment Financing and Financial Development: Firm Level Evidence from Vietnam," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp409, IIIS.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2008.
"Financing patterns around the world : Are small firms different?,"
Other publications TiSEM
7078f1cc-51a6-4556-b193-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008. "Financing patterns around the world: Are small firms different?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 467-487, September.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2000. "Measurement Error and the Relationship between Investment and q," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 1027-1057, October.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Siedschlag, Iulia & Zhang, Xiaoheng & Cahill, Brian, 2010. "The Effects of the Internationalisation of Firms on Innovation and Productivity," Papers WP363, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Bruce Byiers & John Rand & Finn Tarp & Jeanet Bentzen, 2010. "Credit demand in Mozambican manufacturing," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 37-55.
- Toni M. Whited & Guojun Wu, 2006. "Financial Constraints Risk," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(2), pages 531-559.
- Holton, Sarah & Lawless, Martina & McCann, Fergal, 2012. "Firm Credit in Europe: A Tale of Three Crises," Research Technical Papers 04/RT/12, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Fazzari, Steven M & Hubbard, R Glenn & Petersen, Bruce C, 1988. "Investment, Financing Decisions, and Tax Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 200-205, May.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2006. "Foreign bank participation and access to credit across firms in developing countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 774-795, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.