Transitions In and Out of Unemployment Among Young People in the Irish Recession
Young people have been hit hard by unemployment during the Irish recession. While much research has been undertaken to study the effects of the recession on overall labour market dynamics, little is known about the specific effects on youth unemployment and the associated challenges. This paper attempts to fill this gap by comparing the profile of transitions to work before the recession (2006) and as the economy emerged from the recession (2011). The results indicate that the rate of transition of the youth from unemployment to employment fell dramatically. The fall is not due to changes in the composition or the characteristics of the unemployed group but to changes in the external environment. These changes imply that the impact of certain individual characteristics changed over the course of the recession. In particular, for youth, education and nationality have become more important for finding a job in Ireland.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helen Russell & Philip J. O’Connell, 2004. "Women Returning to Employment, Education and Training in Ireland - An Analysis of Transitions," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(1), pages 1-25.
- Henry S. Farber & Robert G. Valletta, 2013.
"Do extended unemployment benefits lengthen unemployment spells? evidence from recent cycles in the U.S. labor market,"
Working Paper Series
2013-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Henry S. Farber & Robert G. Valletta, 2013. "Do Extended Unemployment Benefits Lengthen Unemployment Spells? Evidence from Recent Cycles in the U.S. Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 19048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farber, Henry & Valletta, Robert G., 2013. "Do Extended Unemployment Benefits Lengthen Unemployment Spells? Evidence from Recent Cycles in the U.S. Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 7347, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henry S. Farber & Robert G. Valletta, 2013. "Do Extended Unemployment Bene ts Lengthen Unemployment Spells? Evidence from Recent Cycles in the U.S. Labor Market," Working Papers 1450, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Gomes, Pedro Maia, 2010.
"Labour Market Flows: Facts from the United Kingdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5327, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gomes, Pedro, 2012. "Labour market flows: Facts from the United Kingdom," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 165-175.
- Kelly, Elish & McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J., 2011. "Transitions to Long-Term Unemployment Risk Among Young People: Evidence from Ireland," Papers WP394, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Bachmann, Ronald & Sinning, Mathias, 2012.
"Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6362, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ronald Bachmann & Mathias Sinning, 2012. "Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2012-571, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Ronald Bachmann & Mathias Sinning, 2011. "Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment," Ruhr Economic Papers 0305, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Duffy, David & Durkan, Joe & Timoney, Kevin & Casey, Eddie, 2013. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Winter 2012," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20124, March.
- Durkan, Joe & Duffy, David & O'Sullivan, Cormac, 2011. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Summer 2011," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20112, March.
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Florentino Felgueroso & Andrés Fuentes & Anita Wölfl, 2013. "Youth Labour Market Performance in Spain and its Determinants: A Micro-Level Perspective," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1039, OECD Publishing.
- Helen Russell & Philip J. O'Connell, 2001. "Getting a Job in Europe: The Transition from Unemployment to Work among Young People in Nine European Countries," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 15(1), pages 1-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:w466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.