European immigrants in the UK before and after the 2004 enlargement: is there a change in immigrant self-selection?
The 2004 accession of Eastern European countries (EU8) to the European Union has generated concerns about the influx of low-skill immigrants to the Western member states (EU15). Only three countries, namely Ireland, Sweden, and the UK, did not impose restrictions to immigration from Eastern Europe. Did the elimination of barrier to immigration have an impact on the quality of immigrants arriving to the UK? Using EU15 immigrants as a control group, we find systematic differences between EU8 immigrants arrived before and after the enlargement. The elimination of barriers to immigration seems to have changed the quantity and quality of EU8 immigrants to the UK.
|Date of creation:||18 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dustmann, Christian, 1999.
" Temporary Migration, Human Capital, and Language Fluency of Migrants,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(2), pages 297-314, June.
- Christian Dustmann, 1996. "Temporary Migration, Human capital and Language Fluency of Migrants," Discussion Papers 96-21 ISSN 1350-6722, University College London, Department of Economics.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1996. "Temporary Migration, Human Capital, and Language Fluency of Migrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 1376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kahanec, Martin, 2012.
"Labor Mobility in an Enlarged European Union,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6485, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephen Drinkwater & John Eade & Michal Garapich, 2006.
"Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of immigrants in the UK,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
1706, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Drinkwater, Stephen & Eade, John & Garapich, Michal, 2006. "Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrants in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 2410, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David G. Blanchflower & Chris Shadforth, 2007.
"Fear, Unemployment and Migration,"
NBER Working Papers
13506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir, 2013.
"Skill-based immigrant selection and labor market outcomes by visa category,"
in: International Handbook on the Economics of Migration, chapter 23, pages 432-452
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Aydemir, Abdurrahman, 2012. "Skill Based Immigrant Selection and Labor Market Outcomes by Visa Category," IZA Discussion Papers 6433, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dustmann & Yoram Weiss, 2007. "Return Migration: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the UK," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(2), pages 236-256, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2012-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Nears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.