Causality Between Market Liquidity and Depth for Energy and Grains
This paper examines the roles of futures prices of crude oil, gasoline, ethanol, corn, soybeans and sugar in the energy-grain nexus. It also investigates the own- and cross-market impacts for lagged grain trading volume and open interest in the energy and grain markets. According to the results, the conventional view, for which the impacts are from oil to gasoline to ethanol to grains in the energy-grain nexus, does not hold well in the long run because the oil price is influenced by gasoline, soybeans and oil. Moreover, gasoline is preceded by only the oil price and ethanol is not foreshadowed by any of the prices. However, in the short run, two-way feedback in both directions exists in all markets. The grain trading volume effect across oil and gasoline is more pronounced in the short run than the long run, satisfying both the overconfidence/disposition and new information hypotheses across markets. The results for the ethanol open interest shows that money flows out of this market in both the short and long run, but no results suggest across market inflows or outflows to the other grain markets.
|Date of creation:||27 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam|
Phone: 31 10 4081111
Web page: http://www.eur.nl/ese
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid & Jacinto Fabiosa & Dermot J. Hayes & Bruce A. Babcock & Tun-Hsiang (Edward) Yu & Fengxia Dong & Chad E. Hart, 2008.
"Bottlenecks, Drought, and Oil Price Spikes: Impact on U.S. Ethanol and Agricultural Sectors,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 604-622.
- Tokgoz, Simla & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Yu, Tun-Hsiang & Dong, Fengxia & Hart, Chad E., 2008. "Bottlenecks, Drought, and Oil Price Spikes: Impact on U.S. Ethanol and Agricultural Sectors," Staff General Research Papers 12935, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Mattos, Fabio & Garcia, Philip, 2004. "Price Discovery In Thinly Traded Markets: Cash And Futures Relationships In Brazilian Agricultural Futures Markets," 2004 Conference, April 19-20, 2004, St. Louis, Missouri 19019, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1983. "Price Movements and Price Discovery in Futures and Cash Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 289-97, May.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2003. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(03), December.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joe L., 2003. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 510-516, December.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Kelvin Balcombe & George Rapsomanikis, 2008. "Bayesian Estimation and Selection of Nonlinear Vector Error Correction Models: The Case of the Sugar-Ethanol-Oil Nexus in Brazil," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 658-668.
- Subrata Ghatak & Jalal Siddiki, 2001. "The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 573-583.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Baffes, John & Haniotis, Tassos, 2010. "Placing the 2006/08 commodity price boom into perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5371, The World Bank.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2009. "Inventory and Transformation Hedging Effectiveness in Corn Crushing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(1), April.
- Wallace E. Tyner, 2010.
"The integration of energy and agricultural markets,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 193-201, November.
- Tyner, Wallace E., 2009. "The Integration of Energy and Agricultural Markets," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53214, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Treguer, David, 2010. "On the (De)Stabilization Effects of Biofuels: Relative Contributions of Policy Instruments and Market Forces," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Armstrong, Delroy & Zapata, Hector O. & Fortenbery, T. Randall, 2003. "Price Discovery In The Futures And Cash Market For Sugar," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35239, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zapata, T. Randall Fortenbery & Armstrong, Delroy, 2005. "Price Discovery in the World Sugar Futures and Cash Markets: Implications for the Domincan Republic," Staff Paper Series 469, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureir:23115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.