Inventory and Transformation Hedging Effectiveness in Corn Crushing
Recently developed ethanol futures contracts now allow direct-hedging by ethanol producers. This study examines the effectiveness of one-through eight-week hedges between 2005 and 2008. Our findings show (a) ethanol inventory hedging effectiveness is significant for two-week and longer hedges, and increases with the hedging horizon; (b) ethanol futures are significantly superior to gasoline futures for hedging ethanol price risk for two-week and longer hedges; (c) the corn crushing hedge, utilizing corn and ethanol futures, is effective and provides price risk management capabilities comparable to those provided by the soybean crush hedge.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007.
"Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production,"
2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama
34879, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007. "Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Manfredo, Mark R., 2004. "Comparing Hedging Effectiveness: An Application of the Encompassing Principle," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), April.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2005. "Transaction Frequency and Hedging in Commodity Processing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Shapouri, Hosein & Duffield, James A. & Graboski, Michael S., 1995. "Estimating the Net Energy Balance of Corn Ethanol," Agricultural Economics Reports 34005, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1980. " Hedging and Joint Production: Theory and Illustrations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 487-98, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:50081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.