Does co-integration and causal relationship exist between the non-stationary variables for Chinese bank’s profitability? Empirical evidence
This study aims to give the analysis of the determinants of banks’ profitability in the Kingdom of China over the period starting 2003. The paper investigates the co-integration and causal relationship between total assets (TA) and total equity (TE) of Saudi banks. The analysis employs Augmented Dickey Fuller (ADF) test, Johansen’s cointegration test, Granger causality test. Analyzing the cointegration and other tests on Saudi Arabian banking sector over the study period, the relationships between the two variables are examined. The empirical results have found strong evidence that the variables are co-integrated.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex|
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan, 2002.
"Determinants of Private Saving Behaviour in Turkey,"
0206, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Kivilcim Metin Ozcan & Asli Gunay & Seda Ertac, 2003. "Determinants of private savings behaviour in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1405-1416.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Escobar, Andres, 1998.
"Saving determinants in Colombia: 1925-1994,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 5-44, October.
- Pradeep Agrawal, 2001. "The relation between savings and growth: cointegration and causality evidence from Asia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 499-513.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005.
"Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability,"
25, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Browning & Annamaria Lusardi, 1996.
"Household Saving: Micro Theories and Micro Facts,"
96-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Norman Loayza & Rashmi Shankar, 2000. "Private Saving in India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(3), pages 571-594, September.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Heien, Dale M, 1972. "Demographic Effects and the Multiperiod Consumption Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 125-38, Jan.-Feb..
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Bashir, Abdel-Hameed M., 2003. "Determinants Of Profitability In Islamic Banks: Some Evidence From The Middle East," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 11, pages 32-57.
- Liu, Yong-Chin & Hung, Jung-Hua, 2006. "Services and the long-term profitability in Taiwan's banks," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 177-191, December.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Testing for causality : A personal viewpoint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 329-352, May.
- Darby, Michael R, 1972. "The Allocation of Transitory Income Among Consumers' Assets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 928-41, December.
- Kwast, Myron L. & Rose, John T., 1982. "Pricing, operating efficiency, and profitability among large commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 233-254, June.
- Heggestad, Arnold A, 1977. "Market Structure, Risk and Profitability in Commercial Banking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1207-16, September.
- George Hondroyiannis, 2004. "Estimating private savings behaviour in Greece," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(5), pages 457-476, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2013-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.