Role of Bank Specific, Macroeconomic and Risk Determinants of Banks Profitability: Empirical Evidence from Ghana’s Rural Banking Industry
This paper analyzes bank specific, macroeconomic and some risk determinants of bank profitability of rural and community banks (RCBs) in Ghana. Fixed effect panel regression analysis is applied on 114 RCBs annual financial reports during the period 2005-2013. The results generally suggests that capital adequacy, asset quality, liquidity management, investment, gross domestic product growth rate, inflation, funding risk and bank resilience risk are significant determinants of RCBs profitability though with varying degrees. Whereas management efficiency, and bank size cannot be considered as positive contributors to RCBs profitability. The study also indicates that continuous profitability performance of RCBs can curtail shortfall in funding risk and enhance RCBs stability
Volume (Year): 6 (2016)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2013. "How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 146-176.
- Vighneswara Swamy, 2017.
"Determinants of Bank Asset Quality and Profitability: An Empirical Assessment,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot GmbH, Berlin, vol. 63(1), pages 97-135.
- Swamy, Vighneswara, 2013. "Determinants of Bank Asset Quality and Profitability - An Empirical Assessment," MPRA Paper 47513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen & Waterson, Michael, 1984. "The Profitability-Concentration Relation: Market Power or Efficiency?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 435-450, June.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Pradhan, Rudra P. & Arvin, Mak B. & Hall, John H. & Bahmani, Sahar, 2014. "Causal nexus between economic growth, banking sector development, stock market development, and other macroeconomic variables: The case of ASEAN countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 155-173.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Kyriaki Kosmidou, 2008. "The determinants of banks' profits in Greece during the period of EU financial integration," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 146-159, February.
- Berger, Allen N, 1995. "The Profit-Structure Relationship in Banking--Tests of Market-Power and Efficient-Structure Hypotheses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 404-431, May.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2010. "Bank activity and funding strategies: The impact on risk and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 626-650, December.
- Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies : The Impact on Risk and Return," Discussion Paper 2009-09, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009. "Bank activity and funding strategies : the impact on risk and returns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4837, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies: The Impact on Risk and Return," CEPR Discussion Papers 7170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986. "Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christophe J. Godlewski, 2006. "Regulatory and Institutional Determinants of Credit Risk Taking and a Bank's Default in Emerging Market Economies," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 5(2), pages 183-206, August.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Habibullah, 2009. "Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer;Higher Education Press, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Fadzlan SUFIAN & Muzafar Shah HABIBULLAH, 2009. "Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector," Frontiers of Economics in China, Higher Education Press, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Valentina Flamini & Liliana B Schumacher & Calvin A McDonald, 2009. "The Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Rime, Bertrand, 2001. "Capital requirements and bank behaviour: Empirical evidence for Switzerland," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 789-805, April.
- Simon Kwan & Robert Eisenbeis, 1997. "Bank Risk, Capitalization, and Operating Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 117-131, October.
- Mirzaei, Ali & Moore, Tomoe & Liu, Guy, 2013. "Does market structure matter on banks’ profitability and stability? Emerging vs. advanced economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2920-2937.
- Eric Kofi Boadi & Samuel Antwi & Victor Curtis Lartey, 2013. "Determinants of Profitability of Insurance Firms in Ghana," International Journal of Business and Social Research, MIR Center for Socio-Economic Research, vol. 3(3), pages 43-50, March.
- Constantinos Alexiou & Voyazas Sofoklis, 2009. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability: Evidence From The Greek Banking Sector," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 54(182), pages 93-118, July – Se.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2006. "Should Banks Be Diversified? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1355-1412, May.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders & Viral V. Acharya, 2002. "Should banks be diversified? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," BIS Working Papers 118, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Wanzenried, Gabrielle, 2011. "Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 307-327, July.
- Short, Brock K., 1979. "The relation between commercial bank profit rates and banking concentration in Canada, Western Europe, and Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 209-219, September.
- Vincent Okoth Ongore & Gemechu Berhanu Kusa, 2013. "Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Kenya," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 237-252.
- Samuel Antwi & Ebenezer Fiifi Emire Atta Mills & Gifty Atta Mills & Xicang Zhao, 2012. "Risk Factors of Loan Default Payment in Ghana: A case study of Akuapem Rural Bank," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 376-386, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2016-02-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.