Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Kenya
Studies on moderating effect of ownership structure on bank performance are scanty. To fill this glaring gap in this vital area of study, the authors used linear multiple regression model and Generalized Least Square on panel data to estimate the parameters. The findings showed that bank specific factors significantly affect the performance of commercial banks in Kenya, except for liquidity variable. But the overall effect of macroeconomic variables was inconclusive at 5% significance level. The moderating role of ownership identity on the financial performance of commercial banks was insignificant. Thus, it can be concluded that the financial performance of commercial banks in Kenya is driven mainly by board and management decisions, while macroeconomic factors have insignificant contribution.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sehrish Gul & Faiza Irshad & Khalid Zaman, 2011. "Factors Affecting Bank Profitability in Pakistan," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 14(39), pages 61-87, March.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"A Theory of Bank Capital,"
CRSP working papers
363, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Caruntu, Genu Alexandru & Romanescu, Marcel Laurentiu, 2008. "The Assessment of Banking Performances- Indicators of Performance in Bank Area," MPRA Paper 11600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad AZAM & Sana SIDDIQUI, 2012. "Domestic and Foreign Banks’ Profitability:Differences and Their Determinants," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(1), pages 33-40.
- Valentina Flamini & Liliana Schumacher & Calvin A. McDonald, 2009. "The Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/15, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2013-01-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.