Determinants of Bank Asset Quality and Profitability - An Empirical Assessment
Determinants of default risk of banks in emerging economies have so far received inadequate attention in the literature. Using panel data techniques, this paper seeks to study the determinants bank asset quality and profitability using robust data sets for the period from 1997-2009. The findings of the study reveal some interesting inferences contrary to the established perceptions. Priority sector credit has been found to be not significant in affecting the NPAs contrary to the general perception and similar is the case with that of rural branches implying that aversion to rural credit is a falsely founded perception. Bad Debts are dependent more on the performance of the industry than other sectors of the economy. Public sector banks have shown significant performance in containing bad debts private banks have continued to be stable in containing the bad debts as they have better risk management procedures and technology, which definitely allows them to finish up with lower levels of NPAs. Further, investigating the effect of determinants on profitability it is established that while capital adequacy and investment activity significantly affect the profitability of commercial banks apart from other accepted determinants of profitability, asset size has no significant impact on profitability.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P. & Huang, Yiping, 2001.
"Dealing with the bad loans of the Chinese banks,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 197-214.
- John P. Bonin & Yiping Huang, 2001. "Dealing with the Bad Loans of the Chinese Banks," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 357, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
- Bikker, J.A. & Metzemakers, P.A.J., 2005. "Bank provisioning behaviour and procyclicality," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 141-157, April.
- J.A. Bikker & P.A.J. Metzemakers, 2002. "Bank provisioning behaviour and procyclicality," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 50, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Paul A.J. Metzemakers, 2003. "Bank Provisioning Behaviour and Procyclicality," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 111, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Barseghyan, Levon, 2010. "Non-performing loans, prospective bailouts, and Japan's slowdown," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 873-890, October.
- Albertazzi, Ugo & Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2009. "Bank profitability and the business cycle," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 393-409, December.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Leonardo Gambacorta, 2006. "Bank profitability and the business cycle," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 601, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Raj Aggarwal & Aigbe Akhigbe & James McNulty, 2006. "Are Differences in Acquiring Bank Profit Efficiency Priced in Financial Markets?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 265-286, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.