Experimental Study of Forward and Spot Markets: Contract Failure as a Contributing Factor of Vertical Integration
A probability of a partner not fulfilling his forward contract obligations (contract failure) increases in a transition economy. This project investigates the process of price and quantity discovery in a laboratory setting when there is (1) an endogenous choice between forward and spot market institutions and vertical integration; and (2) a certain probability of forward contract failure. The results suggest that in some cases a contract failure creates incentives to integration. To develop a system, which efficiently allocates resources, the state policy should be oriented toward strengthening the legal system and developing of the spot market, which may act like an insurance mechanism for the failed forward trades
|Date of creation:||13 May 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leland, Hayne E, 1972. "Theory of the Firm Facing Uncertain Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 278-91, June.
- Davis, Douglas D. & Harrison, Glenn W. & Williams, Arlington W., 1993. "Convergence to nonstationary competitive equilibria : An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 305-326, December.
- Ward, Clement E., 1981. "Short-Period Pricing Models for Fed Cattle and Impacts of Wholesale Carcass Beef and Live Cattle Futures Market Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 125-132, July.
- Thomas L. Sporleder, 1992. "Managerial Economics of Vertically Coordinated Agricultural Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1226-1231.
- Vernon L. Smith, 1962.
"An Experimental Study of Competitive Market Behavior,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 322.
- Vernon L. Smith, 1962. "An Experimental Study of Competitive Market Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 111.
- Polinsky, A Mitchell, 1987.
"Fixed Price versus Spot Price Contracts: A Study in Risk Allocation,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 27-46, Spring.
- A. Mitchell Polinsky, 1986. "Fixed Price Versus Spot Price Contracts: A Study in Risk Allocation," NBER Working Papers 1817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Drabenstott, Mark, 1994. "Industrialization: Steady Current or Tidal Wave?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 9(4).
- Ward, Clement E., 1981. "Short-Period Pricing Models For Fed Cattle And Impacts Of Wholesale Carcass Beef And Live Cattle Futures Market Prices," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Williams, Arlington W & Smith, Vernon L, 1984. "Cyclical Double-Auction Markets with and without Speculators," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 1-33, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:99-02e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.