How do demand fluctations and credit constraints affect R&D? Evidence from Central, Southern and Eastern Europe
The opportunity cost approach suggesting a countervailing cyclical effect between R&D and short-term investments is the subject of theoretical and empirical debate. We extend the discussion by investigating the impact of demand fluctuations and credit constraints on firms' R&D in ten new EU member states from Central, Southern and Eastern Europe (CSEE). Using membership of the OECD as a proxy for the country's level of development we find more counter-cyclicality amongst the firms in non-OECD CSEE countries, while a similar but somewhat less accentuated counter-cyclical pattern of R&D behaviour emerges in the more advanced OECD-CSEE countries. Surprisingly, any adverse effect from credit constraints on firm's engagement in R&D is largely absent in CSEE countries
|Date of creation:||19 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:||19 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaan Masso & Tõnu Roolaht & Urmas Varblane, 2010.
"Foreign Direct Investment And Innovation In Central And Eastern Europe: Evidence From Estonia,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
67, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Masso, Jaan & Roolaht, Tõnu & Varblane, Urmas, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and innovation in Central and eastern Europe : evidence from Estonia," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2010-05, Bank of Estonia, revised 14 Apr 2010.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2000. "Identification of multiple equation probit models with endogenous dummy regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 309-312, December.
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008.
"Technological innovation and productivity in late-transition Estonia: econometric evidence from innovation surveys,"
The European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 240-261.
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008. "Technological Innovation And Productivity In Late-Transition Estonia: Econometric Evidence From Innovation Surveys," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 61, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Matthew Rafferty, 2003. "Do Business Cycles Influence Long-Run Growth? The Effect of Aggregate Demand on Firm-Financed R&D Expenditures," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 607-618, Fall.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2008.
"How Important Are Financing Constraints? The Role of Finance in the Business Environment,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 483-516, November.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2006. "How important are financing constraints ? The role of finance in the business environment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3820, The World Bank.
- Maria Luisa Mancusi & Andrea Vezzulli, 2010. "R&D, Innovation and Liquidity Constraints," KITeS Working Papers 030, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised May 2010.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2012.
"Credit Constraints And The Cyclicality Of R&D Investment: Evidence From France,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 10(5), pages 1001-1024, October.
- Aghion, P. & Askenazy, P. & Berman, N. & Cette, G. & Eymard, L., 2008. "Credit Constraints and the Cyclicality of R&D Investment: Evidence from France," Working papers 198, Banque de France.
- Aghion, Philippe & Askenazy, Philippe & Berman, Nicolas & Cette, Gilbert & Eymard, Laurent, 2012. "Credit Constraints and the Cyclicality of R&D Investment: Evidence from France," Scholarly Articles 12490632, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Frederique Savignac, 2008. "Impact Of Financial Constraints On Innovation: What Can Be Learned From A Direct Measure?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 553-569.
- Min Ouyang, 2007. "On the cyclicality of R&D: disaggregated evidence," Working Paper 0707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Patrick Francois & Huw Lloyd-Ellis, 2009. "Schumpeterian Business Cycles with Pro-Cyclical R&D," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(4), pages 567-591, October.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009.
"The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010. "The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Gianfranco Atzeni & Claudio Piga, 2005.
"R&D investment, Credit Rationing and Sample Selection,"
Discussion Paper Series
2005_6, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jun 2005.
- Claudio A. Piga & Gianfranco Atzeni, 2007. "R&D Investment, Credit Rationing And Sample Selection," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 149-178, 04.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2007. "On the Cyclicality of Research and Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1131-1164, September.
- Hulya Ulku, 2004. "RandD, innovation, and Economic Growth; An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 04/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Walde, Klaus & Woitek, Ulrich, 2004. "R&D expenditure in G7 countries and the implications for endogenous fluctuations and growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 91-97, January.
- Chiara Monfardini & Rosalba Radice, 2008. "Testing Exogeneity in the Bivariate Probit Model: A Monte Carlo Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(2), pages 271-282, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2011-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Peeter Luikmel to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.