Ranking Investment Projects
This paper describes conditions under which one investment project dominates a second project in terms of net present value, irrespective of the choice of the discount rate. The resulting partial ordering of projects has certain similarities to stochastic dominance. However, the structure of the net present value function leads to characterizations that are quite specific to this context. Our theorems use Bernstein's (1915) innovative results on the representation and approximation of polynomials, as well as other general results from the theory of equations, to characterize the partial ordering. We also show how the ranking is altered when the range of discount rates is limited or the rate varies period by period.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 402 Uris Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853|
Phone: (607) 255-9901
Fax: (607) 255-2818
Web page: http://www.arts.cornell.edu/econ/CAE/workingpapers.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Bruno & Edwin Burmeister & Eytan Sheshinski, 1966. "The Nature and Implications of the Reswitching of Techniques," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(4), pages 526-553.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Bohren, Oyvind & Hansen, Terje, 1980. " Capital Budgeting with Unspecified Discount Rates," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(1), pages 45-58.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-177, January.
- Sen, Amartya, 1975. "Minimal conditions for monotonicity of capital value," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 340-355, December.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Steinar Ekern., 1980.
"Time Dominance Efficiency Analysis,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
105, University of California at Berkeley.
- Pratt, John W & Hammond, John S, III, 1979. "Evaluating and Comparing Projects: Simple Detection of False Alarms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1231-1242, December.
- J. Hirshleifer, 1958. "On the Theory of Optimal Investment Decision," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 329-329.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:corcae:01-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.