Do we know how much poverty there is?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Székely & Nora Lustig & Martin Cumpa & José Antonio Mejía-Guerra, 2000. "Do We Know How Much Poverty There Is?," Research Department Publications 4239, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Szekely, Miguel & Lustig, Nora & Cumpa, Martin & Antonio Mejia, Jose, 2000. "Do we know how much poverty there is?," Working Papers 244243, Inter-American Development Bank.
References listed on IDEAS
- Miguel Székely & Marianne Hilgert, 1999. "What's Behind the Inequality We Measure: An Investigation Using Latin American Data," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6458, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Szekely, Miguel, 1995. "Poverty in Mexico during Adjustment," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(3), pages 331-348, September.
- Psacharopoulos, G. & Morley, S. & Fiszbein, A. & Lee, H. & Wood, B., 1997. "Poverty and Income Distribution in Latin America: The Story of the 1980s," Papers 351, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Chaudhuri, Shubham & Ravallion, Martin, 1994. "How well do static indicators identify the chronically poor?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 367-394, March.
- Atkinson, A B, 1992. "Measuring Poverty and Differences in Family Composition," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 1-16, February.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-764, July.
- José Antonio Mejía-Guerra & Rob Vos, 1997. "Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Inventory: 1980-95," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 10878, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Lancaster, Geoffrey & Ray, Ranjan & Valenzuela, Maria Rebecca, 1999. "A Cross-Country Study of Equivalence Scales and Expenditure Inequality on Unit Record Household Budget Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(4), pages 455-482, December.
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Michael Hurd & F. Thomas Juster & James P. Smith, 2004. "Enhancing the Quality of Data on Income: Recent Developments in Survey Methodology," Labor and Demography 0412001, EconWPA.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1994. "Poverty rankings using noisy data on living standards," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 481-485, August.
- Little, Roderick J A, 1988. "Missing-Data Adjustments in Large Surveys," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 287-296, July.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin, 1995. "Poverty and Household Size," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1415-1434, November.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Mercader-Prats, Magda, 1999.
"Household Needs and Poverty: With Application to Spain and the U.K,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(1), pages 77-98, March.
- Duclos, J.Y. & Mercader-Prats, M., 1996. "Household Needs and Poverty: With Application to Spain and the UK," Papers 9614, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Mercarder-Prats, Magda, 1996. "Household Needs and Poverty: with Application to Spain and the UK," Cahiers de recherche 9614, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762.
- Marianne Hilgert & Miguel SzÃ©kely, 1999. "Whats Behind the Inequality We Measure? An Investigation Using Latin American Data," LIS Working papers 234, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Miguel Székely & Marianne Hilgert, 1999. "What's Behind the Inequality We Measure: An Investigation Using Latin American Data," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1309, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-177, January.
- Howes, Stephen & Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1998. "Does Sample Design Matter for Poverty Rate Comparisons?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 99-109, March.
- Juan Luis Londoño & Miguel Székely, 2000. "Persistent Poverty and Excess Inequality: Latin America, 1970-1995," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 3, pages 93-134, May.
- Blackburn, McKinley L, 1998. "The Sensitivity of International Poverty Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 449-472, December.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-1082, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-1230, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Klasen & Tatyana Krivobokova & Friederike Greb & Rahul Lahoti & Syamsul Hidayat Pasaribu & Manuel Wiesenfarth, 2016.
"International income poverty measurement: which way now?,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 14(2), pages 199-225, June.
- Stephan Klasen & Tatyana Krivobokova & Friederike Greb & Rahul Lahoti & Syamsul Hidayat Pasaribu & Manuel Wiesenfarth, 2015. "International Income Poverty Measurement: Which way now?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 184, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutiérrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007.
"Growth And Income Poverty In Latin America And The Caribbean: Evidence From Household Surveys,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(2), pages 209-245, June.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutiérrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2005. "Growth and Income Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: Evidence from Household Surveys," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0030, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bane, Mary Jo & Zenteno, Rene, 2005. "Poverty and Place in North America," Working Paper Series rwp05-035, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Melanie Grosse & Stephan Klasen & Julius Spatz, 2005.
"Creating National Poverty Profiles and Growth Incidence Curves with Incomplete Income or Consumption Expenditure Data: An Application to Bolivia,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
129, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Spatz, Julius & Klasen, Stephan & Grosse, Melanie, 2006. "Creating National Poverty Profiles and Growth Incidence Curves with Incomplete Income or Consumption Expenditure Data: An Application to Bolivia," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 26, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Bronfman, Javier, 2007. "Poverty Lines, What are they telling us?," MPRA Paper 63263, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Apr 2009.
- Charlotte Guénard & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps, 2004. "Mesurer les inégalités : que captent réellement les enquêtes ? Analyse de deux enquêtes ivoirienne et malgache," Working Papers DT/2004/13, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation), revised Dec 2004.
- Dhongde, Shatakshee & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013. "Global Poverty Estimates: A Sensitivity Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 1-13.
- François Bourguignon, 2015.
"Appraising income inequality databases in Latin America,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 13(4), pages 557-578, December.
- François Bourguignon, 2015. "Appraising income inequality databases in Latin America," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01307743, HAL.
- Isidro Soloaga, 2004. "Growth and Poverty. The case of MÃ©xico," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 93, Econometric Society.
- Quentin Wodon & Rodrigo Castro & Kihoon Lee, 2001. "Poverty in Latin America: Trends (1986-1998) and Determinants," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(114), pages 127-153.
- Sebastian Levine, 2012. "Exploring Differences in National and International Poverty Estimates: Is Uganda on Track to Halve Poverty by 2015?," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 107(2), pages 331-349, June.
- Panizza, Ugo & Qiang, Christine Zhen-Wei, 2005. "Public-private wage differential and gender gap in Latin America: Spoiled bureaucrats and exploited women?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 810-833, December.
- Christian Dudel & Jan Marvin Garbuszus & Notburga Ott & Martin Werding, 2015. "Income Dependent Equivalence Scales, Inequality, and Poverty," CESifo Working Paper Series 5568, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4459 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sandrine Mesplé-Somps & Charlotte Guénard, 2006. "Measuring Inequalities: Do The Surveys Give The Real Picture? Study Of Two Surveys In Cote D’Ivoire And Madagascar," Working Papers 18, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003.
"Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, "undated". "Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches," QEH Working Papers qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Julia Johannsen & Manfred Zeller & Stephan Klasen, 2007. "The capability dilemma in operational poverty assessment," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 159, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
More about this item
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:oxdevs:v:32:y:2004:i:4:p:523-558. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst). General contact details of provider: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.