What does it take to be good parent ? Opening the black-box of value creation in the unrealated multibusiness firm
This paper develops and tests new theory about the determinants of value creation in unrelated multibusiness firms from a resource-based perspective. The authors argue that the availability of "headquarter resources", which are at the basis of headquarter services provided to the business units, is the driving force behind unrelated diversification.
|Date of creation:||30 Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Bruining & Mike Wright, 2002.
"Entrepreneurial orientation in management buy-outs and the contribution of venture capital,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 147-168, April.
- Bruining, J. & Wright, D.M., 2002. "Entrepreneurial Orientation In Management Buy-Outs And The Contribution Of Venture Capital," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-67-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Smith, Abbie J., 1990. "Corporate ownership structure and performance *1: The case of management buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 143-164, September.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Cotter, James F. & Peck, Sarah W., 2001. "The structure of debt and active equity investors: The case of the buyout specialist," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-147, January.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1993. "Measuring the performance of emerging businesses: A validation study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 391-408, September.
- Bull, Ivan, 1989. "Financial performance of leveraged buyouts: An empirical analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 263-279, July.
- Pennings, J.M. & Barkema, H.G. & Douma, S.W., 1994. "Organizational learning and diversification," Other publications TiSEM 2cabb122-340f-4729-afb3-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Brush, Candida G. & Vanderwerf, Pieter A., 1992. "A comparison of methods and sources for obtaining estimates of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 157-170, March.
- Cynthia A. Montgomery & Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Diversification, Ricardian Rents, and Tobin's q," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 623-632, Winter.
- Macmillan, Ian C. & Kulow, David M. & Khoylian, Roubina, 1989. "Venture capitalists' involvement in their investments: Extent and performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 27-47, January.
- Gottschalg, Oliver & Berg, Achim, 2005. "Understanding value generation in buyouts," Les Cahiers de Recherche 824, HEC Paris.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010.
"Active Investors, LBOs, and the Privatization of Bankruptcy,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 77-85.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1989. "Active Investors, LBOs, and the Privatization of Bankruptcy," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 2(1), pages 35-44.
- Robbie, K & Wright, M & Thompson, S, 1992. "Management buy-ins in the UK," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 445-456, July.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0822. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.