Structural gravity equations with intensive and extensive margins
New trade models with heterogeneous firms have had a consequent influence on gravity equations. According to Chaney (2007) and Melitz and Ottaviano (2005), the theoretical relationship between trade costs and trade flows is the sum of the effect of trade costs on the number of exporting firms (the extensive margin) and the value of individual exports (the intensive margin). The distinctive effect of distance on the two margins deeply modifies predictions of the trade literature, among which the sectoral effect of trade policies. Using French firms-level export data to 61 countries, on the period 1989-1992, we provide unbiased structural estimates of the three parameters governing trade elasticities with respect to distance. This dissection of the gravity equation provides consistent evidence in favor of heterogeneous firms models of trade.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2005.
"Transport costs: measures, determinants, and regional policy implications for France,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 319-349, June.
- Miren Lafourcade & Pierre-Philippe Combes, 2005. "Transport Costs: Measures, Determinants and Regional Policy Implications for France," Post-Print halshs-00754078, HAL.
- Helene Erkel-Rousse & Daniel Mirza, 2000.
"Import Price-Elastcities: Reconsidering the Evidence,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0909, Econometric Society.
- Hélène Erkel-Rousse & Daniel Mirza, 2002. "Import price elasticities: reconsidering the evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 282-306, May.
- Erkel-Rousse, H. & Mirza, D., 2000. "Import Price-Elasticities : Reconsidering the Evidence," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2007-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.