Regional Income Stratification in Unified Germany Using a Gini Decomposition Approach
This paper delivers new insights into the development of income inequality and regional stratification in Germany after unification using a new method for detecting social stratification by a decomposition of the GINI index which yields the obligatory between- and withingroup components as well as an "overlapping" index for the different sup-populations. We apply this method together with a jackknife estimation of standard errors. We find that East Germany is still a stratum on its own when using post-government income, but since 2001 no longer is when using pre-government income. These results remain stable when using alternatively defined regional classifications. However, there are also indications of some regional variation within West Germany. Overall, these findings are important for the political discussion with respect to a potential regional concentration of future transfers from East to West Germany.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2005.
"Drifting Together or Falling Apart? The Empirics of Regional Economic Growth in Post-Unification Germany,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1533, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2009. "Drifting together or falling apart? The empirics of regional economic growth in post-unification Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(9), pages 1087-1098.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran, 2011. "Drifting together of falling apart? The empirics of regional economic growth in post-unification Germany," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 21102, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2005. "Drifting Together or Falling Apart? The Empirics of Regional Economic Growth in Post-Unification Germany," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20509, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Biewen, 2001. "Measuring the Effects of Socio-Economic Variables on the Income Distribution: An Application to the East German Transition Process," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 185-190, February.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1999.
"Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany,"
NBER Working Papers
6878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1999. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 2106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1998. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 304, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1976. "On the Interpretation and Disaggregation of Gini Coefficients," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 243-55, June.
- Lammers, Konrad, 2003. "Süd-Nord-Gefälle in West- und Ostdeutschland?," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1998 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 83(11), pages 736-739.
- Schechtman, E. & Yitzhaki, S., 1999. "On the proper bounds of the Gini correlation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Joachim R. Frick & Markus M. Grabka, 2003.
"Imputed Rent and Income Inequality: A Decomposition Analysis for Great Britain, West Germany and the U.S,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 513-537, December.
- Frick, Joachim R. & Grabka, Markus M., 2003. "Imputed Rent and Income Inequality: A Decomposition Analysis for Great Britain, West Germany and the U.S," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 513-537.
- Kurt Geppert, 1999. "Süd-Nord-Gefälle eingeebnet?: Zur räumlichen Wirtschaftsentwicklung in Westdeutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 66(3), pages 67-78.
- Forster, Michael & Jesuit, David & Smeeding, Timothy, 2003. "Regional Poverty and Income Inequality in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence from the Luxembourg Income Study," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Grabka, Markus M. & Schwarze, Johannes & Wagner, Gert G., 1999.
"How Unification and Immigration Affected the German Income Distribution,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 867-878.
- Grabka, Markus M. & Schwarze, Johannes & Wagner, Gert G., 1999. "How unification and immigration affected the German income distribution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 867-878, April.
- Frick, Joachim R. & Goebel, Jan & Schechtman, Edna & Wagner, Gert G. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2004. "Using Analysis of Gini (ANoGi) for Detecting Whether Two Sub-Samples Represent the Same Universe: The SOEP Experience," IZA Discussion Papers 1049, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jan Goebel & Peter Krause & Jürgen Schupp, 2005. "Growth in Unemployment Raises Poverty Rates: Most Low-Wage Earnings Constitute Supplement to Primary Household Income," Weekly Report, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 1(10), pages 115-122.
- Maria Grazia Pittau, 2005. "Fitting Regional Income Distributions in the European Union," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(2), pages 135-161, 04.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1984. "A note on the calculation and interpretation of the Gini index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 363-368.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Joachim R. Frick & Jan Goebel & Markus M. Grabka, 2005. "Zur langfristigen Entwicklung von Einkommen und Armut in Deutschland: starke Reduktion der arbeitsmarktbedingten Ungleichheit durch sozialstaatliche Maßnahmen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 72(4), pages 59-68.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp540. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.