Pareto Improving Taxes
We show that in almost every economy with separable externalities, every competitive equilibrium can be Pareto improved by a package of anonymous commodity taxes that causes prices to adjust and markets to reclear at different levels of individual consumption. This constrained suboptimality of competitive allocations might provide a rationale for economic policy in economies with externalities. It shows that policy makers should look for good tax packages that help everybody, rather than thinking taxes must inevitably be bad for some lobby that will oppose them.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Mathematical Economics (2008), 44: 682-696|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Bisin & John Geanakoplos & Piero Gottardi & Enrico Minelli & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2010.
"Markets and contracts,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/29, European University Institute.
- DEBREU, GÃ©rard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1979. "On allocations attainable through Nash equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 140-165, August.
- DEBREU, GÃ©rard, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
- Peter A. Diamond, 1973. "Consumption Externalities and Imperfect Corrective Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 526-538, Autumn.
- Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 175-208, April.
- Citanna, A. & Polemarchakis, H.M. & Tirelli, M., 2006.
"The taxation of trades in assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 299-313, January.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Herakles M. & TIRELLI, Mario, 2001. "The taxation of trades in assets," CORE Discussion Papers 2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles M. & TIRELLI, M., 2000. "The Taxation of Trades in assets," Les Cahiers de Recherche 721, HEC Paris.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1970. "Political and Economic Evaluation of Social Effects and Externalities," NBER Chapters, in: The Analysis of Public Output, pages 1-30 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1973. "The Design of Mechanisms for Resource Allocation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 1-30, May.
- Andrés Carvajal, .
"Testable Restrictions of General Equilibrium Theory in Exchange Economies with Externalities,"
Borradores de Economia
231, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2003. "Testable Restrictions og General Equilibrium Theory in Exchange Economies with Externalities," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003556, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2004. "Testable Restrictions of General Equilibrium Theory in Exchange Economies with Externalities," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/28, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Nov 2004.
- Geanakoplos, J. D. & Polemarchakis, H. M., 1990. "Observability and optimality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 153-165.
- Snyder, Susan K., 1999. "Testable restrictions of Pareto optimal public good provision," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 97-119, January.
- Guesnerie Roger, 1976.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Greenwald, Bruce C & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-64, May.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1982. "The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 241-61, April.
- P. A. Diamond, 1975.
"A Many-Person Ramsey Tax Rule,"
146, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Herakles Polemarchakis, 2001. "The taxation of trades in assests," Working Papers 2001-21, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1976. "Smooth Preferences: A Corrigendum," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 831-32, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1662. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.