The Taxation of Trades in assets
When the asset market is incomplete, there typically exist taxes on trades in assets and a redistribution of revenue in the asset market that are Pareto improving. The policy is anonymous, it economizes on complexity, and it results in ex post Pareto optimal allocations, it is publicly announced before markets open, thus fully and correctly anticipated by traders, it does not require that financial markets be shut down, and it does not modify the asset market structure. As such, it improves over previously proposed constrained interventions.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kajii Atsushi, 1994. "Anonymity and Optimality of Competitive Equilibria when Markets Are Incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 115-129, October.
- Alberto Bisin & John Geanakoplos & Piero Gottardi & Enrico Minelli & Heracles Polemarchakis, 2009.
"Markets and Contracts,"
0915, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Tirelli, Mario, 2002.
"Income Taxation when Markets are Incomplete,"
746, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Mirrlees, J. A., 1976.
"Optimal tax theory : A synthesis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 327-358, November.
- Dow, James & Rahi, Rohit, 2000.
"Should Speculators Be Taxed?,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 89-107, January.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Heracles M. Polemarchakis, 1999.
"Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1210, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- P. Herings & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005. "Pareto improving price regulation when the asset market is incomplete," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 135-154, 01.
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Polemarchakis H. M., 2002. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete," Research Memorandum 008, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1998. "Pareto improving price regulation when the asset market is incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers 1998041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- P. J. J. Herings & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2003. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market is Incomplete," Discussion Papers 03-20, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Polemarchakis, H.M., 1999. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation when the Asset Market is Incomplete," Discussion Paper 1999-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Polemarchakis H. M., 2000. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete," Research Memorandum 008, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982.
"The Theory of Excess Burden and Optimal Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
- Guesnerie Roger, 1976.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1979. "General statements on second best pareto optimality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 169-194, July.
- TIRELLI, Mario, 2000. "Constrained suboptimality and financial innovation in GEI with a single commodity," CORE Discussion Papers 2000019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0721. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.