Transaction costs and planner intervention
In this paper, I examine a two-period general equilibrium model in which transaction costs are incurred whenever financial contracts are traded. These transaction costs are real and convex. The presence of these transaction costs results in a Pareto inefficient equilibrium allocation. Attempting to fix this problem, the planner will intervene by scaling the transaction costs either up or down. The intervention must satisfy fiscal balance meaning that the summed value of transaction costs will remain constant. I prove that over a generic subset of household utility functions and endowments and subject to an upper bound on the number of household types, there exists an open set of planner interventions that lead to a Pareto superior allocation. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 50 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Citanna, A. & Polemarchakis, H.M. & Tirelli, M., 2006.
"The taxation of trades in assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 299-313, January.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles M. & TIRELLI, M., 2000. "The Taxation of Trades in assets," Les Cahiers de Recherche 721, HEC Paris.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Herakles M. & TIRELLI, Mario, 2001. "The taxation of trades in assets," CORE Discussion Papers 2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Elena Mercato & Antonio Villanacci, 2006. "Taxes and money in incomplete financial markets," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 23-54, 05.
- Kajii Atsushi, 1994. "Anonymity and Optimality of Competitive Equilibria when Markets Are Incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 115-129, October.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Hahn, Frank, 1999. "Notes on Sequence Economies, Transaction Costs, and Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 203-218, June.
- Laitenberger, Marta, 1996. "Existence of financial market equilibria with transaction costs," Ricerche Economiche, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 69-77, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:50:y:2012:i:3:p:603-634. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.