Two-Fund Separation in Dynamic General Equilibrium
The purpose of this paper is to examine the two-fund separation paradigm in the context of an infinite-horizon general equilibrium model with dynamically complete markets and heterogeneous consumers with time and state separable utility functions. With the exception of the dynamic structure, we maintain the assumptions of the classical static models that exhibit two-fund separation with a riskless security. In addition to a se- curity with state-independent payoffs agents can trade a collection of assets with dividends following a time-homogeneous Markov process. We make no further assumptions about the distribution of asset dividends, returns, or prices. Agents have equi-cautious HARA utility functions. If the riskless security in the economy is a consol then agents' portfolios exhibit two-fund separation. But if agents can trade only a one-period bond, this result no longer holds. Examples show this effect to be quantitatively signifcant. The underly- ing intuition is that general equilibrium restrictions lead to interest rate °uctuations that destroy the optimality of two-fund separation in economies with a one-period bond and result in different equilibrium portfolios.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Russell, Thomas, 1980. "Portfolio separation : The analytic case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 59-66.
- Amershi, Amin H & Stoeckenius, Jan H W, 1983. "The Theory of Syndicates and Linear Sharing Rules," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1407-16, September.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Peter Bossaerts & Charles Plott & William R. Zame, 2005.
"Prices and Portfolio Choices in Financial Markets: Theory and Experiments,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
840, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Peter Bossaerts & Charles Plott & William R. Zame, 2006. "Prices and Portfolio Choices in Financial Markets: Theory and Experiment," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001322, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2000.
"Asset Trading Volume with Dynamically Complete Markets and Heterogeneous Agents,"
1294, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2003. "Asset Trading Volume with Dynamically Complete Markets and Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2203-2218, October.
- Cass, David & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "The structure of investor preferences and asset returns, and separability in portfolio allocation: A contribution to the pure theory of mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 122-160, June.
- Citanna, A. & Polemarchakis, H.M. & Tirelli, M., 2006.
"The taxation of trades in assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 299-313, January.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Herakles M. & TIRELLI, Mario, 2001. "The taxation of trades in assets," CORE Discussion Papers 2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CITANNA, Alessandro & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles M. & TIRELLI, M., 2000. "The Taxation of Trades in assets," Les Cahiers de Recherche 721, HEC Paris.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00479286 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:1398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.