In search of an alternative to shareholder value maximization
This paper argues that mainstream economic the- ory, far from providing an indisputable plea in favor of shareholder value-maximization, o ers striking arguments showing quite the opposite: pro t maximization cannot be a legitimate prioritar- ian goal for private rms. This opens the door for a widening of a company's goal. We argue that it should include the con- cern of all the stakeholders of a company, and cannot be ade-quately addressed uniquely by Pigouvian taxes or by property rights. Coming to terms with this broad understanding of a com-pany's goal should imply the internalization of the stakeholders' concern within the legal structure of the rm | as in the case of the scic in France or the cic in the UK.
|Date of creation:||08 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-essec.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00609153/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaël Giraud, 2001.
"An Algebraic Index Theorem for Non-smooth Economies,"
- GIRAUD, Gaël, 2000. "An algebraic index theorem for non-smooth economies," CORE Discussion Papers 2000016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geanakoplos, John & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989.
"Real indeterminacy with financial assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 22-38, February.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David, 1989. "The Structure of Financial Equilibrium with Exogenous Yields: The Case of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 135-62, January.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1987. "Increasing returns, efficiency, and the distribution of wealth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 475-482.
- Starrett, David A., 1972. "Fundamental nonconvexities in the theory of externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 180-199, April.
- Geanakoplos, John & Polemarchakis, H.M., 2008. "Pareto improving taxes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 682-696, July.
- Boyd, John III & Conley, John P., 1997. "Fundamental Nonconvexities in Arrovian Markets and a Coasian Solution to the Problem of Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 388-407, February.
- Cornet, Bernard, 1988. "General equilibrium theory and increasing returns : Presentation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 103-118, April.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990.
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., . "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers RP -916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2010.
"Non-cooperative support for the asymmetric Nash bargaining solution,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1951-1967, September.
- Britz Volker & Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski Arkadi, 2008. "Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bruni, Luigino & Sugden, Robert, 2008. "Fraternity: Why The Market Need Not Be A Morally Free Zone," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 35-64, March.
- Thomas, Charles P, 1995. "The Role of Fiscal Policy in an Incomplete Markets Framework," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 449-68, July.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979.
"A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, 1978. "A theory of competitive equilibrium in stock market economies," Special Studies Papers 115, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Momi, Takeshi, 2001. "Non-existence of equilibrium in an incomplete stock market economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 41-70, February.
- Bonnisseau, J.-M. & Cornet, B., 1987. "Existence of marginal cost pricing equilibrium in an economy with several nonconvex firms," CORE Discussion Papers 1987023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Salchow, Hans-Jurgen, 2006. "An essay on the state of economic science," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 653-660, September.
- John Geanakoplos & H M Polemchakis, 2008. "Pareto Improving Taxes," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002219, David K. Levine.
- John Geanakoplos & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2008. "Pareto Improving Taxes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1662, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00609153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.