Capital income taxation when markets are incomplete
In this paper we investigate the welfare effects of capital income taxation in a standard one commodity general equilibrium model with incomplete markets (GEI) and production. We consider a competitive economy of two periods with uncertainty over a finite number S of possible states of nature revealed in the second period. One perishable commodity is traded on (S + 1) spot markets, there are 1 1 of consumer types. Securities are equity contracts; claims on second period's returns from production plans which are selected by J firms in the interest of shareholders. The number of such contracts is insufficient to span all possible contingencies; that is we assume that the security markets are incomplete. The central planner is (uniquely) endowed with a system of ad-valorem taxes on corporate dividends. If H is not too large, there exist tax reforms that have positive welfare effects; yet, tax reforms with opposite effects do also exist. This result has implications for the theory of optimal taxation and social discounting.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990.
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., "undated". "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers RP 916, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- DeMarzo, Peter M., 1988. "An extension of the Modigliani-Miller theorem to stochastic economies with incomplete markets and interdependent securities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 353-369, August.
- J. Hirshleifer, 1966. "Investment Decision Under Uncertainty: Applications of the State-Preference Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(2), pages 252-277.
- Alessandro Citanna & Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci, 1998.
"Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications,"
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1982. "The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 241-261.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998.
"Pareto Improving Financial Innovation in Incomplete Markets,"
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1977.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 179-202, April.
- Grinols, Earl L., 1985. "Public investment and social risk-sharing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 303-321.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1976. "On the theory of tax reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 77-104.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David, 1989. "The Structure of Financial Equilibrium with Exogenous Yields: The Case of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 135-162, January.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics III : Pareto Optima and price equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 107-117, August.
- Elul Ronel, 1995. "Welfare Effects of Financial Innovation in Incomplete Markets Economies with Several Consumption Goods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 43-78, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2000011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.