Export performance of Chinese domestic firms: the role of foreign export spillovers
We investigate how the proximity to multinational exporters influences the creation of new export linkages (extensive margin of trade) by domestic firms in China. Using panel data from Chinese customs for 1997-2007, we show that domestic firms’ capacity to start exporting new varieties to new markets positively responds to the export activity of neighboring foreign firms for that same product-country pair. We find that foreign export spillovers are limited to ordinary trade activities. No foreign export spillovers are found for processing trade. More, export spillovers are stronger for sophisticated products indicating that proximity to foreign exporters may help domestic exporters to upgrade their exports. However we observe that foreign export spillovers are weaker when the technology gap between foreign and domestic firms is large, suggesting that upgrading may not occur when foreign firms have already a strong edge.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Export Spillovers: How Do Export Platforms Fare?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp058, IIIS.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010. "China's Growing Role in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen07-1, September.
- Galina Hale & Cheryl Long, 2007.
"Are there productivity spillovers from foreign direct investment in China?,"
Working Paper Series
2006-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Galina Hale & Cheryl Long, 2011. "Are There Productivity Spillovers From Foreign Direct Investment In China?," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 135-153, 05.
- Bruce Blonigen & Alyson Ma, 2007.
"Please Pass the Catch-up The Relative Performance of Chinese and Foreign Firms in Chinese Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
13376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Alyson C. Ma, 2010. "Please Pass the Catch-Up: The Relative Performance of Chinese and Foreign Firms in Chinese Exports," NBER Chapters, in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 475-509 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harding, Torfinn & Javorcik, Beata, 2009.
"A Touch of Sophistication: FDI and Unit Values of Exports,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torfinn Harding & Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2009. "A Touch of Sophistication: FDI and Unit Values of Exports," CESifo Working Paper Series 2865, CESifo Group Munich.
- Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Industrial Linkages and Export Spillovers from FDI," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 105-134, 01.
- Cheung Kui-yin & Lin, Ping, 2004. "Spillover effects of FDI on innovation in China: Evidence from the provincial data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-44.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2010.
"Which Foreigners are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp996, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2010. "Which Foreigners Are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI," Working Papers IES 2010/16, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Aug 2010.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2010. "Which Foreigners Are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI," Working Papers 2010/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2005/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- KOENIG, Pamina & MAYNERIS, Florian & PONCET, Sandra, .
"Local export spillovers in France,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2225, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2008.
"Multinationals and the creation of Chinese trade linkages,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 596-618, May.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2007. "Multinationals and the Creation of Chinese Trade Linkages," NBER Working Papers 13271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010.
"BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version,"
2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version," MPRA Paper 32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Multinational Firms, Competition, and Productivity in Host-Country Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 176-93, May.
- Joachim Jarreau & Sandra Poncet, 2009. "Export Sophistication and Economic Performance: Evidence from Chinese Provinces," Working Papers 2009-34, CEPII research center.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997.
"Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Albert G. Z. Hu & Gary H. Jefferson, 2002. "FDI Impact and Spillover: Evidence from China's Electronic and Textile Industries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(8), pages 1063-1076, 08.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming & Parker, David, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers in the Chinese manufacturing sector," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 305-321, December.
- Alyson Ma, 2006. "Export Spillovers to Chinese Firms: Evidence from Provincial Data," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 127-149.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2011003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.