Product relatedness and firm exports in China
We propose the first evaluation using micro-level data of the expected growth gains from the consistency of activities with local comparative advantage. Using firm level data from Chinese customs over 2000-2006, we investigate the relationship between the export performance of firms and how their products relate to local comparative advantage. Our key indicator measures the density of the links between a product and the local product space. It hence combines information on the intrinsic relatedness of a good to that on the local pattern of specialization. Our results indicate that exports grow faster for goods that have denser links with those currently produced in the firm’s locality. The density of links between products thus seems to yield export-enhancing spillovers. We however also show that this positive effect of product relatedness on export performance is mainly limited to ordinary trade activities and domestic firms. It is also stronger for more productive firms, suggesting that spillover diffusion may be hindered by insufficient absorptive capacity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2009.
"Local export spillovers in France,"
PSE Working Papers
- Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2009. "Local Export Spillovers in France," Working Papers 2009-18, CEPII research center.
- Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2010. "Local Export spillovers in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00633782, HAL.
- Jeroen Hinloopen & Charles Marrewijk, 2001. "On the empirical distribution of the Balassa index," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 1-35, March.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Usui, Norio & A. Abdon, Arnelyn May, 2010. "Structural Transformation in the Kyrgyz Republic: Engineering Future Paths of Capability Accumulation," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 200, Asian Development Bank.
- Rauch, James E., 1999.
"Networks versus markets in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- Ricardo Hausmann & César Hidalgo, 2011.
"The network structure of economic output,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 309-342, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, 2008.
"Export Dynamics in Colombia: Transactions Level Evidence,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004748, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, . "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Transactions Level Evidence," Borradores de Economia 522, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Galina Hale & Cheryl Long, 2011.
"Are There Productivity Spillovers From Foreign Direct Investment In China?,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 135-153, 05.
- Galina Hale & Cheryl Long, 2007. "Are there productivity spillovers from foreign direct investment in China?," Working Paper Series 2006-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnaud Costinot & Dave Donaldson & Ivana Komunjer, 2012.
"What Goods Do Countries Trade? A Quantitative Exploration of Ricardo's Ideas,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 581-608.
- Arnaud Costinot & Dave Donaldson & Ivana Komunjer, 2010. "What Goods Do Countries Trade? A Quantitative Exploration of Ricardo's Ideas," NBER Working Papers 16262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahn, JaeBin & Khandelwal, Amit K. & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2011.
"The role of intermediaries in facilitating trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 73-85, May.
- JaeBin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," NBER Working Papers 15706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jaebin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," Working Papers id:2557, eSocialSciences.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What You Export Matters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," NBER Working Papers 11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2007.
"Multinationals and the Creation of Chinese Trade Linkages,"
NBER Working Papers
13271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2008. "Multinationals and the creation of Chinese trade linkages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 596-618, May.
- Elsa Leromain & Gianluca Orefice, 2014.
"New revealed comparative advantage index: Dataset and empirical distribution,"
CEPII research center, issue 139, pages 48-70.
- Elsa Leromain & Gianluca Orefice, 2013. "New Revealed Comparative Advantage Index: Dataset and Empirical Distribution," Working Papers 2013-20, CEPII research center.
- Peter K. Schott, 2006.
"The Relative Sophistication of Chinese Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
12173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joachim Jarreau & Sandra Poncet, 2011.
"Export sophistication and economic growth: evidence from China,"
PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS
- Jarreau, Joachim & Poncet, Sandra, 2012. "Export sophistication and economic growth: Evidence from China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 281-292.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2005/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- Lemoine, Francoise & Unal-Kesenci, Deniz, 2004. "Assembly Trade and Technology Transfer: The Case of China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 829-850, May.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Bailey Klinger, 2008.
"South Africa's export predicament ,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(4), pages 609-637, October.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004.
"Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version,"
32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2012-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.