Do Training Programmes Get The Unemployedback To Work?: A Look At The Spanish Experience
This study analyzes the effect of some training courses for economic disadvantaged unemployed workers elaborated by the Spanish Department of Employment (INEM) on exit rate from unemployment. Two groups of Spanish unemployed workers are compared between April 2000 and February 2001, one of them did training courses in the first quarter of 2000. Non-parametric techniques, parametric and semi-parametric continuous time duration methods are used to analyze this relationship. The results suggest a higher positive effect of some training courses for women than for men, especially with medium level courses. The lower the age and the period of active labour demand are, the higher exit rate to a job is. However, education and disabilities do not affect significantly the exit rate to employment.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34-91 6249594
Fax: +34-91 6249329
Web page: http://www.eco.uc3m.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kugler, Adriana & Jimeno, Juan F. & Hernanz, Virginia, 2002.
"Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labor Market Reforms,"
IZA Discussion Papers
657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Adriana Kugler & Juan F. Jimeno & Virginia Hernanz, . "Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labor Market Reforms," Working Papers 2003-14, FEDEA.
- Hernanz, Virginia & Jimeno, Juan F & Kugler, Adriana D., 2003. "Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labour Market Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Kugler & Juan F. Jimeno & Virginia Hernanz, 2002. "Employment consequences of restrictive permanent contracts: Evidence from Spanish labor market reforms," Economics Working Papers 651, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Juan José Dolado & Carlos García-Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, .
"Drawing Lessons from the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain,"
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002. "Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001. "Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John P. Martin, 1998.
"What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence From OECD Countries' Experiences,"
OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- John P Martin, 1998. "What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from OECD Countries' Experiences," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- Ham, John C & LaLonde, Robert J, 1996. "The Effect of Sample Selection and Initial Conditions in Duration Models: Evidence from Experimental Data on Training," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 175-205, January.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- F. Alfonso Arellano, 2005. "Evaluating The Effects Of Labour Market Reforms “At The Margin” On Unemployment And Employment Stability: The Spanish Case," Economics Working Papers we051205, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "Earnings and Employment Effects of Continuous Off-the-Job Training in East Germany after Unification," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 74-90, January.
- van Ours, J.C., 2001. "Do active labor market policies help unemployed workers to find and keep regular jobs?," Other publications TiSEM c2c23050-5ecb-40fe-918e-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ridder, G, 1986. "An Event History Approach to the Evaluation of Training, Recruitment and Employment Programmes," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 109-26, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we052515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.