Estimating Population Dynamics without Population Data
We develop a biologically correct cost system for production systems facing invasive pests that allows the estimation of population dynamics without a priori knowledge of their true values. We apply that model to a data set for olive producers in Crete and derive from it predictions about the underlying population dynamics. Those dynamics are compared to information on population dynamics obtained from pest sampling with extremely favorable results.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||03 Nov 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cobourn, Kelly M. & Burrack, Hannah J. & Goodhue, Rachael E. & Williams, Jeffrey C. & Zalom, Frank G., 2011. "Implications of simultaneity in a physical damage function," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 278-289, September.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Grant, Simon & Polak, Ben & Quiggin, John, 2014.
"A two-parameter model of dispersion aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 611-641.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Grant, Simon & Polak, Ben & Quiggin, John, 2011. "A Two-Parameter Model of Dispersion Aversion," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151196, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Machina, Mark J, 1982. ""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 277-323, March.
- Mark J Machina, 1982. ""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7650, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1986. "Implicitly additive utility and the nature of optimal economic growth," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-128, April.
- Oberhofer, W & Kmenta, J, 1974. "A General Procedure for Obtaining Maximum Likelihood Estimates in Generalized Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 579-590, May.
- Underwood, Nora A. & Caputo, Michael R., 1996. "Environmental and Agricultural Policy Effects on Information Acquisition and Input Choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 198-218, September.
- Robert Chambers & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2014. "Productivity accounting for separable technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 41-50, February.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Erik Lichtenberg & David Zilberman, 1992. "Impact of Damage Control and Quality of Output: Estimating Pest Control Effectiveness," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(1), pages 163-172.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Lichtenberg, E. & Zilberman, David, 1992. "Impact of Damage Control and Quality of Output: Estimating Pest Control Effectiveness," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10589, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-548, May/June.
- Biorn, Erik, 2004. "Regression systems for unbalanced panel data: a stepwise maximum likelihood procedure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 281-291, October.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, R.G.Robert G., 2004. "Invariant risk attitudes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 96-118, July.
- Elie Appelbaum & Eliakim Katz, 1986. "Transfer seeking and avoidance: On the full social costs of rent seeking," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 175-181, January.
- Elie Appelbaum & Eliakim Katz, 1996. "Transfer seeking and avoidance: On the full social costs of rent seeking," Working Papers 1996_11, York University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1997. "Damage Control and Increasing Returns: Further Results," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 786-791.
- Hennessy, David A., 1997. "Damage Control and Increasing Returns: Further Results," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10671, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kanas, Angelos & Genius, Margarita, 2005. "Regime (non)stationarity in the US/UK real exchange rate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 407-413, June.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Guilkey, David K & Lovell, C A Knox & Sickles, Robin C, 1983. "A Comparison of the Performance of Three Flexible Functional Forms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 591-616, October.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- V.E. Ball & J.C. Bureau & J.P. Butault & H.P. Witzke, 1993. "The stock of capital in European Community agriculture," Post-Print hal-01072680, HAL.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002. "Regime Switches in Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 163-182, April.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 1998. "Regime Switches in Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 6508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benoit Bellone, 2005. "Classical Estimation of Multivariate Markov-Switching Models using MSVARlib," Econometrics 0508017, EconWPA.
- Pope, Rulon D, 1980. "The Generalized Envelope Theorem and Price Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Ball, V Eldon, et al, 1993. "The Stock of Capital in European Community Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 437-450.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-335, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1975. "An Instrumental Variable Approach to Full Information Estimators for Linear and Certain Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 727-738, July.
- Breusch, Trevor S., 1987. "Maximum likelihood estimation of random effects models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 383-389, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:1210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.