Italian regional specialization: a spatial analysis
This paper tests for the presence and evaluates the effects of spatial interdependencies on Italian regional specialization over the period 1995-2006. We perform exploratory spatial data analysis (ESDA) and estimate a spatial panel data model built according to the NEG theory. ESDA reveals an overall positive spatial interdependence and detect “hot spots” in the North and “cold spots” in the South for all sectors, except for agriculture which shows the reverse. Spatial econometric estimation confirms these results, refuting diffusion of sectoral specialization at country level. The results in terms of specialization determinants are in line with the findings of NEG.
|Date of creation:||21 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0815474736
Fax: +39 0815474750
Web page: http://www.crisei.uniparthenope.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisenda Paluzie & Jordi Pons & Daniel Tirado, 2001.
"Regional Integration and Specialization Patterns in Spain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 285-296.
- Elisenda Paluzie Hernandez & Jordi Pons Novell & Daniel Aurelio Tirado Fabregat, 2000. "Regional integration and specialisation patterns in Spain," Working Papers in Economics 62, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren, 2001. "Transport Cost Decline and Regional Inequalities: Evidence from France," CEPR Discussion Papers 2894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rita De Siano & Marcella D'Uva & Giovanna Messina, 2004. "Sentieri Di Specializzazione E Di Crescita Delle Regioni Europee Durante L'Integrazione Economica," Working Papers 3_2004, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996.
"Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-59, May.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003.
"Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- Helg, Rodolfo & Manasse, Paolo & Monacelli, Tommaso & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1995. "How much (a)symmetry in Europe? Evidence from industrial sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 1017-1041, May.
- Mary Amiti, 1999.
"Specialization patterns in Europe,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 135(4), pages 573-593, December.
- Marius Brülhart, 1998. "Trading Places: Industrial Specialization in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 319-346, 09.
- Jens Suedekum, 2006.
"Concentration and Specialization Trends in Germany since Re-unification,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(8), pages 861-873.
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004. "Concentration and Specialisation Trends in Germany since Reunification," HWWA Discussion Papers 285, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Stirboeck, Claudia, 2006. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Regional Specialization Patterns across EU Regions," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 36(3), pages 324-61.
- LE GALLO, Julie & ERTUR, Cem, 2000. "Exploratory spatial data analysis of the distribution of regional per capita GDP in Europe, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-09, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Jean-François Brun & Mary-Françoise Renard, 2001.
"Commerce extérieur et spécialisations régionales en Chine,"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Armand Colin, vol. 0(2), pages 297-310.
- Jean-François BRUN & Mary-Françoise RENARD, 1999. "Commerce extérieur et spécialisations régionales en Chine," Working Papers 199917, CERDI.
- Martin, Philippe, 1998.
"Public Policies, Regional Inequalities and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1841, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapun, 2006.
"Regional Specialization in the European Union,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 601-616.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Carlos Gil & Manuel Rapún, 2004. "Regional Specialization In The European Union," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0404, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Fujita, Masahisa, 1988. "A monopolistic competition model of spatial agglomeration : Differentiated product approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-124, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crj:dpaper:7_2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margherita Gallo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.