Population Dynamics and Regional Social Security Sustainability in Italy
Making due allowances for differences in demographics, the labour market and internal migration dynamics, this study analyses the sustainability of the Italian pension balance at a regional level. A worsening of the elderly dependency ratio and a decline in birth and employment rates have generated a negative trend particularly for regions in southern Italy, characterized by early retirement and an increase in migration outflows. The suggestion is that a decentralized pension policy is not a Pareto-efficient solution because it would favour the sustainability of the pension balance in northern regions over those in the South.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0815474736
Fax: +39 0815474750
Web page: http://www.crisei.uniparthenope.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjetil Storesletten, .
"Sustaining Fiscal Policy Through Immigration,"
_005, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1992.
"Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Redistribution,"
28-94, Tel Aviv.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1995. "Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Distribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 312-16, May.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1995. "Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Distribution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1091, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Pestieau & Gwanaël Piaser & Motohiro Sato, 2006.
"PAYG pension systems with capital mobility,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 587-599, September.
- Munz, Sonja & Werding, Martin, 2005. "Public pensions and international migration: some clarifications and illustrative results," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 181-207, July.
- Wildasin, D.E., 1992.
"Income Restribution and Migration,"
92-003, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1999.
"Unskilled Migration: A Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State,"
NBER Working Papers
7013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 2000. " Unskilled Migration: A Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 463-79, June.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1999. "Unskilled Migration: a Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State?," Papers 8-99, Tel Aviv.
- Carl Schmertmann, 1992. "Immigrants’ ages and the structure of stationary populations with below-replacement fertility," Demography, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 595-612, November.
- Alberto NICCOLI, 2004. "La riforma delle pensioni: un approccio territoriale," Working Papers 206, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1992.
"Incumbent Behavior: Vote Seeking, Tax Setting and Yardstick Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
4041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995. "Incumbent Behavior: Vote-Seeking, Tax-Setting, and Yardstick Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Salvatore Capasso & Maria Rosario Carillo & Rita De Siano, 2012. "Migration Flows, Structural Change And Growth Convergence: A Panel Data Analysis Of The Italian Regions," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 80(4), pages 468-498, 07.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1998.
"Migration and Pension,"
16-98, Tel Aviv.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1999. "Migration and pension with international capital mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 141-150, October.
- Revelli, Federico, 2006.
"Performance rating and yardstick competition in social service provision,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 459-475, February.
- Federico Revelli, 2004. "Performance Rating and Yardstick Competition in Social Service Provision," CESifo Working Paper Series 1270, CESifo Group Munich.
- Juan A. Rojas, 2002. "Immigration And The Pension System In Spain," Economics Working Papers we023916, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crj:dpaper:14_2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margherita Gallo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.