Immigration and the pension system in Spain
In this paper we use a large overlapping generations model with individuals that differ across age, productivity and native status to assess the effects on the pension system of different immigration quotas in the context of an aging population by computing how much should social security taxes be rised in order to pay for the pension burden in two model economies. The first one is the standard model pioneered by Auerbach and Kotlikoff (1987) where skilled and unskilled workers are perfect substitutes in the production process. In the second model economy, individuals with different skill levels are imperfect substitutes as in Canova and Ravn (1998). The main result of the paper is that half of the reduction of the social security tax rate associated with immigration in the standard model is lost when skilled and unskilled individual are imperfect substitutes. Consequently, the standard model with perfect substitution overestimates the ability of immigration inflows to sustain the pension system in Spain.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Dolores Collado & IÒigo Iturbe-Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2004.
"Quantifying the Impact of Immigration on the Spanish Welfare State,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(3), pages 335-353, 05.
- M. Dolores Collado & Iñigo Iturbe Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2002. "Quantifying The Impact Of Immigration On The Spanish Welfare State," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Katz, L.F. & Murphy, K.M., 1991.
"Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1580, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1992. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963–1987: Supply and Demand Factors," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 35-78.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," NBER Working Papers 3927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Huggett & Gustavo Ventura, 1998.
"On the Distributional Effects of Social Security Reform,"
9801, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Mark Huggett & Gustavo Ventura, 1999. "On the Distributional Effects of Social Security Reform," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(3), pages 498-531, July.
- Hugett, M. & Ventura, G., 1997. "On the Distributional Effects of Social Security Reform," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9710, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1999.
"Unskilled Migration: a Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State?,"
8-99, Tel Aviv.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 2000. " Unskilled Migration: A Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 463-479, June.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1999. "Unskilled Migration: A Burden or a Boon for the Welfare State," NBER Working Papers 7013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Canova, Fabio & Ravn, Morten O, 1998.
"Crossing the Rio Grande: Migrations, Business Cycles and the Welfare State,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morten O. Ravn & Fabio Canova, 1997. "Crossing the Rio Grande: Migrations, business cycles and the welfare state," Economics Working Papers 248, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 1997.
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 1997.
"Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycle?,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 361-394, May.
- Luis Puch & Omar Licandro, "undated". "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycles?," Working Papers 97-06, FEDEA.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Finis Welch, 1992. "The Structure of Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 285-326.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1999. "Migration and pension with international capital mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 141-150, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we023916. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.