The Impact of the Iraq War on US Consumer Goods Sales in Arab Countries
Did the rise in anti-American sentiment caused by the Iraq war a ffect sales of US goods abroad? We address this question using data on soft drink and fabric detergent sales in nine Arab countries. We find a statistically significant negative impact of the war on sales of US soft drinks in seven countries. The impact dissipates after a few months in two countries but persists in the other five. In the case of detergents we only find a significant negative impact in one country. We conclude that international politics can sometimes affect consumer behavior and impact market outcomes.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bilmes, Linda & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2006.
"The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years after the Beginning of the Conflict,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-002, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Linda Bilmes & Joseph Stiglitz, 2006. "The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years After the Beginning of the Conflict," NBER Working Papers 12054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Bilmes & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2006. "The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years After the Beginning of the Conflict," Working Papers id:387, eSocialSciences.
- Hong Canhui & Hu Wei-Min & Prieger James E. & Zhu Dongming, 2011. "French Automobiles and the Chinese Boycotts of 2008: Politics Really Does Affect Commerce," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, May.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Kimberly Ann Elliott & Tess Cyrus & Elizabeth Winston, 1997. "US Economic Sanctions: Their Impact on Trade, Jobs, and Wages," Working Paper Series Working Paper Special (2), Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Ciccarella, Stephen & Shatz, Howard J., 2007.
"French Wine and the U.S. Boycott of 2003: Does Politics Really Affect Commerce?,"
Journal of Wine Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 55-74, March.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Stephen Ciccarella & Howard J. Shatz, 2007. "French Wine and the U.S. Boycott of 2003: Does Politics Really Affect Commerce?," NBER Working Papers 13258, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.