Consumer boycotts: The impact of the Iraq war on French wine sales in the U.S
The French Opposition to the war in Iraq in early 2003, prompted calls for a boycott of French wine in the US. We measure the magnitude of consumers%u2019 participation in the boycott, and look at basic evidence of who participates. Conservative estimates indicate that the boycott resulted in 26% lower weekly sales at its peak, and 13% lower sales over the six month period that we estimate the boycott lasted for. These findings suggest that business should be concerned that their actions may provoke a boycott which hurts their profits. We also find that neither political preferences or media attention are important determinants of boycott participation.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siew Hong Teoh & Christopher Paul Wazzan & Ivo Welch, 1996.
"The Effect Of Socially Activist Investment Policies On The Financial Markets: Evidence From The South African Boycott,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm70, Yale School of Management.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Welch, Ivo & Wazzan, C Paul, 1999. "The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 35-89, January.
- Ivo Welch & Siew Hong Teoh & Paul Wazzan, 1995. "The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott," Finance _005, University of California at Los Angeles.
- Stefano DellaVigna & Ethan Kaplan, 2006.
"The Fox News Effect: Media Bias and Voting,"
NBER Working Papers
12169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koku, Paul Sergius & Akhigbe, Aigbe & Springer, Thomas M., 1997. "The Financial Impact of Boycotts and Threats of Boycott," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 15-20, September.
- David P. Baron, 2003. "Private Politics," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 31-66, 03.
- Andrew John & Jill Klein, 2003. "The Boycott Puzzle: Consumer Motivations for Purchase Sacrifice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1196-1209, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:qmktec:v:7:y:2009:i:1:p:37-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.