Consumer Boycotts: The Impact of the Iraq War on French Wine Sales in the U.S
The French Opposition to the war in Iraq in early 2003, prompted calls for a boycott of French wine in the US. We measure the magnitude of consumers%u2019 participation in the boycott, and look at basic evidence of who participates. Conservative estimates indicate that the boycott resulted in 26% lower weekly sales at its peak, and 13% lower sales over the six month period that we estimate the boycott lasted for. These findings suggest that business should be concerned that their actions may provoke a boycott which hurts their profits. We also find that neither political preferences or media attention are important determinants of boycott participation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Publication status:||published as Chavis, L. and P. Leslie. “Consumer Boycotts: The Impact of the Iraq War on French Wine Sales in the U.S.” Quantitative Marketing & Economics 7, 1 (2009): 37-67.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ivo Welch & Siew Hong Teoh & Paul Wazzan, 1995.
"The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott,"
_005, University of California at Los Angeles.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Welch, Ivo & Wazzan, C Paul, 1999. "The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 35-89, January.
- Siew Hong Teoh & Christopher Paul Wazzan & Ivo Welch, 1996. "The Effect Of Socially Activist Investment Policies On The Financial Markets: Evidence From The South African Boycott," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm70, Yale School of Management.
- David P. Baron, 2003. "Private Politics," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 31-66, 03.
- Koku, Paul Sergius & Akhigbe, Aigbe & Springer, Thomas M., 1997. "The Financial Impact of Boycotts and Threats of Boycott," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 15-20, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:11981. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.