The Impact of the Iraq War on US Consumer Goods Sales in Arab Countries
Did the rise in anti-American sentiment caused by the Iraq war affect sales of US goods abroad? We address this question using data on sales of soft drinks and fabric detergents in nine Arab countries. We find a statistically significant but modest and short-lived negative impact of the war on sales of US soft drinks in some countries but no impact on the sales of detergents in any country. Variation in aggregate market shares of US products across countries correlates with consumer attitudes toward the US in the soft drink market but not in the detergent market.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.ucy.ac.cy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Kimberly Ann Elliott & Tess Cyrus & Elizabeth Winston, 1997. "US Economic Sanctions: Their Impact on Trade, Jobs, and Wages," Working Paper Series Working Paper Special (2), Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Linda Bilmes & Joseph Stiglitz, 2006.
"The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years After the Beginning of the Conflict,"
NBER Working Papers
12054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Bilmes & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2006. "The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years After the Beginning of the Conflict," Working Papers id:387, eSocialSciences.
- Bilmes, Linda & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2006. "The Economic Costs of the Iraq War: An Appraisal Three Years after the Beginning of the Conflict," Working Paper Series rwp06-002, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Stephen Ciccarella & Howard J. Shatz, 2007. "French Wine and the U.S. Boycott of 2003: Does Politics Really Affect Commerce?," NBER Working Papers 13258, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hong Canhui & Hu Wei-Min & Prieger James E. & Zhu Dongming, 2011. "French Automobiles and the Chinese Boycotts of 2008: Politics Really Does Affect Commerce," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucy:cypeua:06-2010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.