Capital shares and income inequality: Evidence from the long run
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2011.
"Top Incomes in the Long Run of History,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-71, March.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2009. "Top Incomes in the Long Run of History," NBER Working Papers 15408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2011. "Top Incomes in the Long Run of History," Post-Print halshs-00754557, HAL.
- Colistete, Renato P., 2007. "Productivity, Wages, and Labor Politics in Brazil, 1945 1962," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(01), pages 93-127, March.
- Vincent Brown & Simon Mohun, 2011. "The rate of profit in the UK, 1920--1938," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(6), pages 1035-1059.
- Richards, Graham M, 1978. "Labour's Share in the Value Added of Australian Manufacturing, 1945-46--1967-68," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 224-245, December.
- E. A. Boehm, 1965. "Measuring Australian Economic Growth, 1861 To 1938‐39," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 41(94), pages 207-239, June.
- Weisskopf, Thomas E, 1979. "Marxian Crisis Theory and the Rate of Profit in the Postwar U.S. Economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 341-378, December.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2013.
"Distribution and growth in demand and productivity in Switzerland (1950--2010),"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(10), pages 938-944, July.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2012. "Distribution and growth in demand and productivity in Switzerland (1950-2010)," KOF Working papers 12-323, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Douglas Gollin, 2002. "Getting Income Shares Right," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 458-474, April.
- Buyst, Erik, 1997. "New GNP Estimates for the Belgian Economy during the Interwar Period," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(3), pages 357-375, September.
- Benjamin Bridgman, 2014. "Is Labor's Loss Capital's Gain? Gross versus Net Labor Shares," BEA Working Papers 0114, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty, 2010. "Top Incomes : A Global Perspective," Post-Print halshs-00754875, HAL.
- Jalava Jukka & Pohjola Matti & Ripatti Antti & Vilmunen Jouko, 2006. "Biased Technical Change and Capital-Labour Substitution in Finland, 1902-2003," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, April.
- Jean-Luc Demeulemeester & Claude Diebolt & Magali Jaoul-Grammare, 2011.
"The growth of aggregate wage earnings in Germany, 1810-1989,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(21), pages 2657-2669.
- Jean Luc De Meulemeester & Claude Diebolt & Magali Jaoul, 2011. "The Growth of Aggregate Wage Earnings in Germany: 1810-1989," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147667, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Carlo V. Fiorio & Simon Mohun & Roberto Veneziani, 2013.
"Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2013-06, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Carlo V. Fiorio & Simon Mohun & Roberto Veneziani, 2013. "Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010," Working Papers 705, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Carlo V. FIORIO & Simon MOHUN & Roberto VENEZIANI, 2013. "Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010," Departmental Working Papers 2013-09, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano, revised 16 May 2013.
- Ian W. McLean, 2005. "Historical Statistics of the Australian Economy," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 38(4), pages 451-458, December.
- Greasley, David & Oxley, Les, 2000. "Measuring New Zealand's GDP 1865-1933: A Cointegration-Based Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 351-368, September.
- Loukas Karabarbounis & Brent Neiman, 2014.
"Capital Depreciation and Labor Shares Around the World: Measurement and Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
20606, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brent Neiman & Loukas Karabarbounis, 2015. "Capital Depreciation and Labor Shares Around the World: Measurement and Implications," 2015 Meeting Papers 357, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Merrett & Simon Ville, 2011. "Tariffs, Subsidies, And Profits: A Re‐Assessment Of Structural Change In Australia 1901–39," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(1), pages 46-70, March.
- Pablo Astorga, 2015.
"Functional Inequality in Latin America: News from the Twentieth Century,"
Oxford University Economic and Social History Series
_135, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Pablo Astorga, 2015. "Functional Inequality in Latin America: News from the Twentieth Century," Economics Series Working Papers Number 135, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Piketty, Thomas (ed.), 2010. "Top Incomes: A Global Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286898.
- Erik Bengtsson, 2014. "Labour's share in twentieth-century Sweden: a reinterpretation," Scandinavian Economic History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 62(3), pages 290-314, November.
- Altman, Morris, 1988. "Economic development with high wages: An historical perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 198-224, April.
- Frankema, Ewout, 2010. "Reconstructing labor income shares in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico, 1870-2000," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 343-374, September.
- Fishelson, Gideon, 1974. "Relative Shares of Labor and Capital in Agriculture: A Subarid Area Israel, 1952-1969," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 348-352, August.
- David Greasley & Les Oxley, 2005. "Refrigeration And Distribution: New Zealand Land Prices And Real Wages 1873-1939," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 45(1), pages 23-44, March.
- Ryan, Paul, 1996. "Factor Shares and Inequality in the UK," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 106-126, Spring.
- Rankin, Keith, 1992. "New Zealand's Gross National Product: 1859-1939," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(1), pages 49-69, March.
- Stegman, T R, 1980. "Changes in Factor Shares and Aggregate Demand: A Simple Model with Application to Australia," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(35), pages 301-315, December.
- Gordon W. Bertram & Michael B. Percy, 1979. "Real Wage Trends in Canada, 1900-26: Some Provisional Estimates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(2), pages 299-312, May.
- Keller, Robert R., 1973. "Factor Income Distribution in the United States During the 1920's: A Reexamination of Fact and Theory," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 252-273, March.
- Ripatti, Antti & Vilmunen, Jouko, 2001. "Declining labour share : Evidence of a change in the underlying production technology," Research Discussion Papers 10/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Philip Lane, 1998. "Profits and Wages in Ireland, 1987-1996," Economics Technical Papers 9814, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Trapp Katharina, 2015. "Measuring the Labour Income Share of Developing Countries: Learning From Social Accounting Matrices," WIDER Working Paper Series 041, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Joao Paulo Pessoa & John Van Reenen, 2013. "Decoupling of Wage Growth and Productivity Growth? Myth and Reality," CEP Discussion Papers dp1246, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- B. P. Philpott & J. D. Stewart, 1958. "Capital, Income Bind Output In New Zealand Agriculture 1922–1956," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 34(68), pages 223-237, August.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty, 2007. "Top incomes over the twentieth century: A contrast between continental european and english-speaking countries," Post-Print halshs-00754859, HAL.
- Arto Luoma & Jani Luoto, 2010. "The Aggregate Production Function of the Finnish Economy in the Twentieth Century," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 723-737, January.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Piketty, Thomas (ed.), 2007. "Top Incomes Over the Twentieth Century: A Contrast Between Continental European and English-Speaking Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286881.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Milanovic, Branko, 2015.
"Increasing capital income share and its effect on personal income inequality,"
67661, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Branko Milanovic, 2016. "Increasing Capital Income Share and its Effect on Personal Income Inequality," LIS Working papers 663, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Molero-Simarro, Ricardo, 2017. "Inequality in China revisited. The effect of functional distribution of income on urban top incomes, the urban-rural gap and the Gini index, 1978–2015," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 101-117.
- Caiani, Alessandro & Russo, Alberto & Gallegati, Mauro, 2016. "Does Inequality Hamper Innovation and Growth?," MPRA Paper 71864, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bengtsson, Erik, 2016. "Inequality and the working class in Scandinavia 1800 to 1910 - Workers' share of growing income," Lund Papers in Economic History 142, Lund University, Department of Economic History.
- D., Ivan, 2017. "Stability of the labour shares: evidence from OECD economies," MPRA Paper 79822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsInequality; Top incomes; Wage share;
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- N30 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - General, International, or Comparative
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-GRO-2016-01-03 (Economic Growth)
- NEP-HIS-2016-01-03 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:11022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.