Capital shares and income inequality: Evidence from the long run
This paper investigates the relationship between the capital share in national income and personal income inequality over the long run. Using a new historical cross-country database on capital shares in 19 countries and data from the World Top Income Database, we find strong long-run links between the aggregate role of capital in the economy and the size distribution of income. Over time, this dependence varies; it was strong both before the Second World War and in the early interwar era, but has grown to its highest levels in the period since 1980. The correlation is particularly strong in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic countries, in the very top of the distribution and when we only consider top capital incomes. Replacing top income shares with a broader measure of inequality (Gini coefficient), the positive relationship remains but becomes somewhat weaker.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2011.
"Top Incomes in the Long Run of History,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-71, March.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2009. "Top Incomes in the Long Run of History," NBER Working Papers 15408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2011. "Top Incomes in the Long Run of History," Post-Print halshs-00754557, HAL.
- Colistete, Renato P., 2007. "Productivity, Wages, and Labor Politics in Brazil, 1945 1962," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(01), pages 93-127, March.
- Vincent Brown & Simon Mohun, 2011. "The rate of profit in the UK, 1920--1938," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(6), pages 1035-1059.
- Richards, Graham M, 1978. "Labour's Share in the Value Added of Australian Manufacturing, 1945-46--1967-68," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 224-245, December.
- E. A. Boehm, 1965. "Measuring Australian Economic Growth, 1861 To 1938‐39," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 41(94), pages 207-239, 06.
- Weisskopf, Thomas E, 1979. "Marxian Crisis Theory and the Rate of Profit in the Postwar U.S. Economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 341-378, December.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2013. "Distribution and growth in demand and productivity in Switzerland (1950--2010)," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(10), pages 938-944, July.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2012. "Distribution and growth in demand and productivity in Switzerland (1950-2010)," KOF Working papers 12-323, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Douglas Gollin, 2002. "Getting Income Shares Right," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 458-474, April.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001. "Getting Income Shares Right," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-11, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Buyst, Erik, 1997. "New GNP Estimates for the Belgian Economy during the Interwar Period," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(3), pages 357-375, September.
- Benjamin Bridgman, 2014. "Is Labor's Loss Capital's Gain? Gross versus Net Labor Shares," BEA Working Papers 0114, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty, 2010. "Top Incomes : A Global Perspective," Post-Print halshs-00754875, HAL.
- Jalava Jukka & Pohjola Matti & Ripatti Antti & Vilmunen Jouko, 2006. "Biased Technical Change and Capital-Labour Substitution in Finland, 1902-2003," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, April.
- Jean-Luc Demeulemeester & Claude Diebolt & Magali Jaoul-Grammare, 2011. "The growth of aggregate wage earnings in Germany, 1810-1989," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(21), pages 2657-2669.
- Jean Luc De Meulemeester & Claude Diebolt & Magali Jaoul, 2011. "The Growth of Aggregate Wage Earnings in Germany: 1810-1989," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147667, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Carlo V. FIORIO & Simon MOHUN & Roberto VENEZIANI, 2013. "Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010," Departmental Working Papers 2013-09, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano, revised 16 May 2013.
- Carlo V. Fiorio & Simon Mohun & Roberto Veneziani, 2013. "Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010," Working Papers 705, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Carlo V. Fiorio & Simon Mohun & Roberto Veneziani, 2013. "Social Democracy and Distributive Conflict in the UK, 1950-2010," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2013-06, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Greasley, David & Oxley, Les, 2000. "Measuring New Zealand's GDP 1865-1933: A Cointegration-Based Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 351-368, September.
- Loukas Karabarbounis & Brent Neiman, 2014. "Capital Depreciation and Labor Shares Around the World: Measurement and Implications," NBER Working Papers 20606, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brent Neiman & Loukas Karabarbounis, 2015. "Capital Depreciation and Labor Shares Around the World: Measurement and Implications," 2015 Meeting Papers 357, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Merrett & Simon Ville, 2011. "Tariffs, Subsidies, And Profits: A Re‐Assessment Of Structural Change In Australia 1901–39," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(1), pages 46-70, 03.
- Pablo Astorga, 2015. "Functional Inequality in Latin America: News from the Twentieth Century," Oxford University Economic and Social History Series _135, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Pablo Astorga, 2015. "Functional Inequality in Latin America: News from the Twentieth Century," Economics Series Working Papers Number 135, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Piketty, Thomas (ed.), 2010. "Top Incomes: A Global Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286898, April.
- Erik Bengtsson, 2014. "Labour's share in twentieth-century Sweden: a reinterpretation," Scandinavian Economic History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 62(3), pages 290-314, November.
- Altman, Morris, 1988. "Economic development with high wages: An historical perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 198-224, April.
- Frankema, Ewout, 2010. "Reconstructing labor income shares in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico, 1870-2000," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 343-374, September.
- Fishelson, Gideon, 1974. "Relative Shares of Labor and Capital in Agriculture: A Subarid Area Israel, 1952-1969," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 348-352, August.
- David Greasley & Les Oxley, 2005. "Refrigeration And Distribution: New Zealand Land Prices And Real Wages 1873-1939," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 45(1), pages 23-44, 03.
- Ryan, Paul, 1996. "Factor Shares and Inequality in the UK," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 106-126, Spring.
- Rankin, Keith, 1992. "New Zealand's Gross National Product: 1859-1939," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(1), pages 49-69, March.
- Stegman, T R, 1980. "Changes in Factor Shares and Aggregate Demand: A Simple Model with Application to Australia," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(35), pages 301-315, December.
- Gordon W. Bertram & Michael B. Percy, 1979. "Real Wage Trends in Canada, 1900-26: Some Provisional Estimates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(2), pages 299-312, May.
- Keller, Robert R., 1973. "Factor Income Distribution in the United States During the 1920's: A Reexamination of Fact and Theory," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 252-273, March.
- Ripatti, Antti & Vilmunen, Jouko, 2001. "Declining labour share : Evidence of a change in the underlying production technology," Research Discussion Papers 10/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Philip Lane, 1998. "Profits and Wages in Ireland, 1987-1996," Economics Technical Papers 9814, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Trapp Katharina, 2015. "Measuring the Labour Income Share of Developing Countries: Learning From Social Accounting Matrices," WIDER Working Paper Series 041, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Joao Paulo Pessoa & John Van Reenen, 2013. "Decoupling of Wage Growth and Productivity Growth? Myth and Reality," CEP Discussion Papers dp1246, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- B. P. Philpott & J. D. Stewart, 1958. "Capital, Income Bind Output In New Zealand Agriculture 1922–1956," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 34(68), pages 223-237, 08.
- Anthony Atkinson & Thomas Piketty, 2007. "Top incomes over the twentieth century: A contrast between continental european and english-speaking countries," Post-Print halshs-00754859, HAL.
- Arto Luoma & Jani Luoto, 2010. "The Aggregate Production Function of the Finnish Economy in the Twentieth Century," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 723-737, January.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Piketty, Thomas (ed.), 2007. "Top Incomes Over the Twentieth Century: A Contrast Between Continental European and English-Speaking Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286881, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)