Getting Normalization Right: Dealing with ‘Dimensional Constants’ in Macroeconomics
We contribute to a recent literature on the normalization, calibration and estimation of CES production functions. The problem arises because CES ‘share’ parameters are not in fact shares, but depend on underlying dimensions - they are ‘dimensional constants’ in other words. It follows that such parameters cannot be calibrated, nor estimated unless the choice of units is made explicit. We use an RBC model to demonstrate two equivalent solutions. The standard one expresses the production function in deviation form about some reference point, usually the steady state of the model. Our alternative, ‘re-parametrization’, expresses dimensional constants in terms of a new dimensionless (share) parameter and all remaining dimensionless ones. We show that our ‘re-parametrization’ method is equivalent and arguably more straightforward than the standard normalization in deviation form. We then examine a similar problem of dimensional constants for CES utility functions in a two-sector model and in a small open economy model; then re-parametrization is the only solution to the problem, showing that our approach is in fact more general.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 48 boulevard Jourdan - 75014 PARIS|
Phone: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 30
Fax: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 32
Web page: http://www.cepremap.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klump, Rainer & Saam, Marianne, 2006.
"Calibration of normalised CES production functions in dynamic models,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-78, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Klump, Rainer & Saam, Marianne, 2008. "Calibration of normalised CES production functions in dynamic models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 256-259, May.
- Chirinko, Robert S., 2008. "[sigma]: The long and short of it," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 671-686, June.
- Miguel A. Le�n-Ledesma & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2010.
"Identifying the Elasticity of Substitution with Biased Technical Change,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1330-57, September.
- León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2009. "Identifying the elasticity of substitution with biased technical change," Working Paper Series 1001, European Central Bank.
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 2008.
"The Calibration of CES Production Functions,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
08/606, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Alpo WILLMAN & Cristiano CANTORE & Miguel LEON-LEDESMA & Peter MCADAM, .
"Shocking Stuff: Technology, Hours, and Factor Substitution,"
- Cristiano Cantore & Miguel León-Ledesma & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2014. "Shocking Stuff: Technology, Hours, And Factor Substitution," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 108-128, 02.
- Cantore, Cristiano & León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2010. "Shocking stuff: technology, hours, and factor substitution," Working Paper Series 1278, European Central Bank.
- Cristiano Cantore & Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2013. "Shocking Stuff: Technology, Hours, and Factor Substitution," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0913, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma & Mathan Satchi, 2010. "A Note on Balanced Growth with a less than unitary Elasticity of Substitution," Studies in Economics 1007, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman & Bo Yang, 2010.
"An Estimated DSGE Model of the Indian Economy,"
NIPE Working Papers
29/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Gabriel, Vasco & Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph & Yang, Bo, 2011. "An Estimated DSGE Model of the Indian Economy," Working Papers 11/95, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Vasco Gabriel & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman & Bo Yang, 2010. "An Estimated DSGE Model of the Indian Economy," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1210, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Charles I. Jones, 2005. "The Shape of Production Functions and the Direction of Technical Change," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(2), pages 517-549.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008.
"Price stability with imperfect financial integration,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea Ferrero & Mark Gertler & Lars E. O. Svensson, 2008.
"Current account dynamics and monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
2008-26, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Mark Gertler & Lars Svensson & Andrea Ferrero, 2008. "Current Account Dynamics and Monetary Policy," 2008 Meeting Papers 359, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrea Ferrero & Mark Gertler & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2008. "Current Account Dynamics and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 13906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma & Mathan Satchi, 2011. "The Choice of CES Production Techniques and Balanced Growth," Studies in Economics 1113, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Diamond, Peter & McFadden, Daniel & Rodriguez, Miguel, 1978. "Measurement of the Elasticity of Factor Substitution and Bias of Technical Change," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 2, chapter 5 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 2009. "Capital-labor substitution and equilibrium indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1991-2000, December.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2012.
"The Normalized Ces Production Function: Theory And Empirics,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 769-799, December.
- Klump, Rainer & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2011. "The normalized CES production function: theory and empirics," Working Paper Series 1294, European Central Bank.
- de la Grandville,Olivier, 2009. "Economic Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521725200, June.
- Oliver J. Blanchard, 1997. "The Medium Run," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 89-158.
- McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2013. "Medium Run Redux," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 695-727, June.
- Charles I. Jones, 2003. "Growth, capital shares, and a new perspective on production functions," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Klump, Rainer & Preissler, Harald, 2000. " CES Production Functions and Economic Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 41-56, March.
- de la Grandville,Olivier, 2009. "Economic Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521898010, June.
- Olivier de La Grandville & Rainer Klump, 2000. "Economic Growth and the Elasticity of Substitution: Two Theorems and Some Suggestions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 282-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpm:dynare:009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Adjemian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.