On the strategic origin of Brownian motion in finance
This paper is concerned with the stategic use of a private information on the stock market. A repeated auction model is used to analyze the evolution of the price system on a market with asymmetric information. The model turns out to be a zero-sum repeated game with one-sided information, as introduced by Aumann and Maschler. The stochastic evolution of the price system can be explicitly computed in the n times repeated case. As n grows to [infinite] , this process tends to a continuous time martingale related to a Brownian Motion. This paper provides in this way an endogenous justification for the appearance of Brownian Motion in Finance theory.
|Date of creation:||00 Dec 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mertens,Jean-FranÃ§ois & Sorin,Sylvain & Zamir,Shmuel, 2015.
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107662636, October.
- CALCAGNO, Riccardo & LOVO, Stefano M., 1998. "Bid-ask price competition with asymmetric information between market makers," CORE Discussion Papers 1998016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MERTENS, Jean-François & ZAMIR, Shmuel, 1995. "Incomplete Information Games and the Normal Distribution," CORE Discussion Papers 1995020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Calcagno, Riccardo & Lovo, Stefano M., 1998. "Bid-Ask Price Competition with Asymmetric Information between Market Makers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-1335, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2000057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.