Workers’skills and product selection
When the production of high quality goods needs the employment of qualified labour, firms’ decisions concerning quality are affected by the extent to which skills are abundant. By means of a comparison between monopoly and perfect competition, we show how market power in such a context may entail a distorsion in product selection towards too high average quality
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1990.
"Human Capital, Product Quality, and Growth,"
883, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & TURRINI, Alessandro, 1997.
"Workers’ skills, product quality and industry equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, J. & Turrini, A., 2000. "Workers' skills, product quality and industry equilibrium," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 575-593, May.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & TURRINI, Alessandro, . "Workers' skills, product quality and industry equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1451, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:48-61 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg & Nicolas Peridy, 1997. "Trade Patterns Inside the Single Market," Working Papers 1997-07, CEPII research center.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:128:y::i:1:p:40-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Selection, Fixed Costs, and Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 217-35, June.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Antoine Moreau, 1995.
"Product Quality and Worker Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
5077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Courakis, Anthony S, 1991. "Labour Skills and Human Capital in the Explanation of Trade Patterns," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 443-62, July.
- Webster, Allan, 1993. "The Skill and Higher Educational Content of UK Net Exports," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(2), pages 141-59, May.
- Acemoglu, D., 1994.
"Search in the Labor market: Incomplete Contracts and Growth,"
94-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1994. "Search in the Labour Market, Incomplete Contracts and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1999006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.