The Reconciliation of Computable General Equilibrium and Macroeconomic Modelling: Grounds for Hope?
In the aftermath of the rational expectations debate and the onslaught of the New Classical economics,some builders of macroeconometric models have begun to change some of their habits, arguably for the better. In particular,neoclassical discipline is increasingly respected in the formulation of the steady states or balanced growth solutions of the latest versions of several models (e.g., Australia's Murphy Model,and the McKibbin-Sachs Global Model). As well,the behaviour of certain variables (especially exchange rates and investment) increasingly tends to be linked to intertemporal optimization. In this paper we evaluate these innovations and illustrate the role of each,using recent simulations of the Murphy and McKibbin-Sachs models. We conclude that conditions have never been better for convergence in the two streams of economy-wide modelling.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1989|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murphy, C W, 1988. "Rational Expectations in Financial Markets and the Murphy Model," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(0), pages 61-88, Supplemen.
- Adams, Philip D, 1991. "An Extended Linear Expenditure System with Assets," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 109-117, Supplemen.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 1990. "Environmental Regulation and U.S. Economic Growth," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(2), pages 314-340, Summer.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Eric S. Siegloff, 1987.
"A Note on Aggregate Investment in Australia,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp8709, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989.
"Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness,"
in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 5-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1988. "Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 2635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1989.
"Deterioration of the terms of trade and capital accumulation: A re-examination of the Laursen-Metzler effect,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 227-250, May.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Deterioration of the Terms of Trade and Capital Accumulation: A Reexamination of the Laursen-Metzler Effect," NBER Working Papers 2616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsell, B.F. & Powell, A.A. & Wilcoxen, P.J., 1990.
"The Effects Of Fiscal Restraints On The Australian Economy As Projected By The Murphy And Msg2 Models: A Comparison,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
225, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Parsell, Bruce F & Powell, Alan A & Wilcoxen, Peter J, 1991. "The Effects of Fiscal Restraint on the Australian Economy as Projected by the Murphy and MSG2 Models: A Comparison," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(197), pages 97-114, June.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985.
"A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ball85-1.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 2009. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226036335.
- Budd, Alan & Dicks, Geoffrey & Holly, Sean & Keating, Giles & Robinson, Bill, 1984. "The London Business School econometric model of the UK," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 355-420, October.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1989.
"Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 811-831, November.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 2781, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 112-117, January.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1989.
"Tax policy, asset prices, and growth : A general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 265-296, April.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Tax Policy, Asset Prices, and Growth: A General Equilibrium Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. B. Treadway, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 227-239.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-224, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- J. P. Gould, 1968. "Adjustment Costs in the Theory of Investment of the Firm," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 47-55.
- Dinenis, Elias & Holly, Sean & Levine, Paul & Smith, Peter, 1989. "The London Business School econometric model : Some recent developments," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 243-351, July.
- Feltenstein, Andrew, 1983. "A computational general equilibrium approach to the shadow pricing of trade restrictions and the adjustment of the exchange rate, with an application to Argentina," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 333-361, November.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 74-79, January.
- Murphy, C W, 1988. "An Overview of the Murphy Model," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(0), pages 175-199, Supplemen.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982.
"An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
0885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mckibbin, W.J. & Siegloff, E.S., 1991. "The Australian Economy from the Global Perspective," Papers 86, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Galeotti, Marzio, 1988. "Tobin's Marginal 'q' and Tests of the Firm's Dynamic Equilibrium," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(4), pages 267-277, October-D.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Jean Waelbroeck, 1981. "Activity analysis and general equilibrium modelling," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1649, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:ip-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.