Trade Liberalization of the Fishery Industry of Japan
This paper examines the effect of the reduction of an import tariff on the Japanese fishery industry by using a computable general equilibrium model. Being against our common knowledge, our simulations with very realistic conditions show that both of the domestic consumers and the domestic fishery industry can gain by the subsidy (a negative tariff rate) policy, and also that income of the fishery industry would increase by trade liberalization when all possible linkages of economic activities are taken into account within a general equilibrium framework. Our results suggest a possible situation that there is no political conflict between the domestic fishery industry and the domestic consumer.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN|
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toshihiro Ihori & Ryuta Ray Kato & Masumi Kawade & Shun-ichiro Bessho, 2006.
"Public Debt and Economic Growth in an Aging Japan,"
EMS_2006_11, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Toshihiro Ihori & Ryuta Ray Kato & Masumi Kawade & Shun-ichiro Bessho, 2005. "Public Debt and Economic Growth in an Aging Japan," CARF F-Series CARF-F-046, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Toshihiro Ihori & Ryuta Ray Kato & Masumi Kawade & Shun-ichiro Bessho, 2005. "Public Debt and Economic Growth in an Aging Japan," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-372, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, November.
- Taniguchi, Kiyoshi, 2001. "A General Equilibrium Analysis Of Japanese Rice Market Trade Liberalization," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20660, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985.
"A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ball85-1, September.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 2009. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226036335.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, Indian Council of World Affairs, vol. 41(1), pages 74-79.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf & Djoni Hartono & Wawan Hermawan & Yayan, 2008. "AGEFIS:Applied General Equilibrium for FIScal Policy Analysis," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200807, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Oct 2008.
- Pantzios, Christos J. & Taylor, Timothy G., 1998. "Trade Liberalization And Japanese Agricultural Import Policies," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Kato, Ryuta, 1998. "Transition to an Aging Japan: Public Pension, Savings, and Capital Taxation," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 204-231, September.
- Hiroshi Fujiki, 2000. "Japanese Rice Market Liberalization: A Competitive Equilibrium Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 51(4), pages 492-518, December.
- Scarf,Herbert E. & Shoven,John B., 2008. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521070935, November.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, Indian Council of World Affairs, vol. 41(1), pages 112-117.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2009_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.