A General Framework for Regulation and Liberalization in Network Industries
In parallel with liberalization, sector-specific regulation in network industries has become a widely discussed topic among academics, policy makers, industry economists and regulators themselves. The issue of these debates has usually been on whether such regulation is necessary and if so what its optimal design should be. Some argue for complete deregulation (i.e., the complete abolishment of sector-specific regulations), whereas others propose reregulations, that is the replacement of pre-existing (monopoly) regulations by new regulations aiming at safeguarding service levels and competition. The resulting compromise is often somewhere in between; the liberalization process usually entails the partial replacement and realignment of sector-specific regulatory intervention by the disciplining forces of competition protected by competition law. Consequently, competition law and sector-specific regulation play complementary roles. In this paper, we present a general economic framework to assess regulatory remedies in network industries. Therein, liberalization, or more generally market access regulation, can be assessed as well. It provides a foundation and explanation of current sector-specific regulations in place.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Handbook Of Network Industries - The Liberalization of Infrastructure, edited by Matthias Finger and Rolf Künneke. Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar, pp 26-53.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.swiss-economics.ch|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amihai Glazer & Henry McMillan, 1992. "Pricing by the Firm Under Regulatory Threat," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 1089-1099.
- Pablo T. Spiller, 2009.
"An Institutional Theory of Public Contracts: Regulatory Implications,"
in: Regulation, Deregulation, Reregulation, chapter 3
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Pablo T. Spiller, 2008. "An Institutional Theory of Public Contracts: Regulatory Implications," NBER Working Papers 14152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Pricing in Competitive Two-Sided Mail Markets,"
in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 10
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 2002. "Regulatory Economics: Twenty Years of Progress?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin, 1999.
"Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198774389, December.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin & Lodge, Martin, 2011. "Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199576098, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Randal C. Picker, 2007.
"Antitrust and Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
12902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean‐Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2006.
"Two‐sided markets: a progress report,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 645-667, 09.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, December.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2006.
"Regulating access to stimulate competition in postal markets?,"
Other publications TiSEM
21b1fca3-5f00-4ffa-849d-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2005. "Regulating Access to Stimulate Competition in Postal Markets," Discussion Paper 2005-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, March.
- Mark Armstrong & David E.M. Sappington, 2006.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(2), pages 325-366, June.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2001. "Regulation and innovation in the telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 167-184, April.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996. "Creating Competition through Interconnection: Theory and Practice," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 227-56, November.
- Cave, Martin, 2006. "Six Degrees of Separation : Operational Separation as a Remedy in European Telecommunications Regulation," MPRA Paper 3572, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baumol, William J, 1977. "On the Proper Cost Tests for Natural Monopoly in a Multiproduct Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 809-22, December.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Matthias Finger & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Martin Lutzenberger & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Bestimmung des Regulierungsbedarfs aus ökonomischer Sicht: Angemessenheit und Folgen einer funktionalen oder strukturellen Trennung von Swisscom," Studies and Reports, Swiss Economics, pages 1-92, February.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Harrington & John M. Vernon, 2005. "Economics of Regulation and Antitrust, 4th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 4, volume 1, number 026222075x, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chc:wpaper:0016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.