The Development of Renewable Energies and Supply Security: A Trade-Off Analysis
This paper analyzes the effects of the green transformation on the German electricity sector with respect to the energy political triangle. It focuses on how the development of renewable energies will affect security of electricity supply. In a cost-benefit analysis, the value of supply security is compared with its costs of provision. More specifically, the benefits of maintaining the present quality of electricity supply are the avoided social damages from electricity outages and are compared with the respective investment costs in the low- and medium-voltage distribution grid. It is shown that the transformation process towards a green and decentralized production structure will be costly for society, even though the costs can be reduced by different measures.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forte, Vincent J. & Putnam, Robert & Pupp, Roger L. & Woo, Chi-Keung, 1995. "Using customer outage costs in electricity reliability planning," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 81-87.
- Tishler, A. & Newman, J. & Spekterman, I. & Woo, C.K., 2006. "Cost-benefit analysis of reforming Israel's electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2442-2454, November.
- Tishler, Asher, 1993. "Optimal production with uncertain interruptions in the supply of electricity : Estimation of electricity outage costs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1259-1274, August.
- Woo, Chi-Keung & Pupp, Roger L., 1992. "Costs of service disruptions to electricity consumers," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 109-126.
- Leahy, Eimear & Devitt, Conor & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S.J., 2012.
"The cost of natural gas shortages in Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 153-169.
- Leahy, Eimear & Devitt, Conor & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "The Cost of Natural Gas Shortages in Ireland," Papers WP397, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Douglas W. Caves & Joseph A. Herriges & Robert J. Windle, 1992. "The Cost of Electric Power Interruptions in the Industrial Sector: Estimates Derived from Interruptible Service Programs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(1), pages 49-61.
- Winzer, Christian, 2012. "Conceptualizing energy security," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 36-48.
- Winzer, C., 2011. "Conceptualizing Energy Security," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1151, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Michael Greenstone, 2004. "Using Mandated Speed Limits to Measure the Value of a Statistical Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(S1), pages 226-267, February.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Greenstone, Michael, 2002. "Using Mandated Speed Limits to Measure the Value of a Statistical Life," IZA Discussion Papers 571, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orley Ashenfelter & Michael Greenstone, 2002. "Using Mandated Speed Limits to Measure the Value of a Statistical Life," NBER Working Papers 9094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Michael Greenstone, 2002. "Using Mandated Speed Limits to Measure the Value of a Statistical Life," Working Papers 842, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Caves, Douglas W. & Windle, R. J., 1992. "The Cost of Power Interruptions in the Industrial Sector: Estimates Derived from Interruptible Service Programs," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10789, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Caves, Douglas W & Herriges, Joseph A & Windle, Robert J, 1990. "Customer Demand for Service Reliability in the Electric Power Industry: A Synthesis of the Outage Cost Literature," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 79-119, April.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Caves, Douglas W. & Windle, R. J., 1990. "Customer Demand for Service Reliability in the Electric Power Industry: A Synthesis of the Outage Cost Literature," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10790, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Serra, Pablo & Fierro, Gabriel, 1997. "Outage costs in Chilean industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 417-434, October.
- Pablo Serra & Gabriel Fierro, 1996. "Outage Cost in Chilean Industry," Documentos de Trabajo 10, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rutherford, J.P. & Scharpf, E.W. & Carrington, C.G., 2007. "Linking consumer energy efficiency with security of supply," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 3025-3035, May.
- de Nooij, Michiel & Baarsma, Barbara & Bloemhof, Gabriël & Slootweg, Han & Dijk, Harold, 2010. "Development and application of a cost-benefit framework for energy reliability: Using probabilistic methods in network planning and regulation to enhance social welfare: The N-1 rule," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1277-1282, November.
- Reichl, Johannes & Schmidthaler, Michael & Schneider, Friedrich, 2013. "The value of supply security: The costs of power outages to Austrian households, firms and the public sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 256-261.
- DeSerpa, A C, 1971. "A Theory of the Economics of Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(324), pages 828-846, December.
- Sanghvi, Arun P., 1982. "Economic costs of electricity supply interruptions : US and foreign experience," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 180-198, July.
- M. Munasinghe & A. Sanghvi, 1988. "Reliability of Electricity Supply, Outage Costs and Value of Service: An Overview," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 1-18.
- Mohan Munasinghe & Mark Gellerson, 1979. "Economic Criteria for Optimizing Power System Reliability Levels," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 353-365, Spring.
- Sebastian Benz, 2012. "Trading Tasks: A Dynamic Theory of Offshoring," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 150, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Benz, Sebastian, 2013. "Trading Tasks: A Dynamic Theory of Offshoring," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79816, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Baarsma, Barbara E. & Hop, J. Peter, 2009. "Pricing power outages in the Netherlands," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1378-1386.
- Munasinghe, Mohan, 1980. " Costs Incurred by Residential Electricity Consumers Due to Power Failures," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 361-369, March.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, . "Das grüne Paradoxon ; Plädoyer für eine illusionsfreie Klimapolitik," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 19627, December.
- Sensfuß, Frank & Ragwitz, Mario & Genoese, Massimo, 2008. "The merit-order effect: A detailed analysis of the price effect of renewable electricity generation on spot market prices in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3076-3084, August.
- Wolff, Hendrik, 2012. "Value of Time: Speeding Behavior and Gasoline Prices," IZA Discussion Papers 6788, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Nooij, Michiel & Koopmans, Carl & Bijvoet, Carlijn, 2007. "The value of supply security: The costs of power interruptions: Economic input for damage reduction and investment in networks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-295, March.
- Michael L. Telson, 1975. "The Economies of Alternative Levels of Reliability for Electric Power Generation Systems," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 679-694, Autumn.
- Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "The Value of Lost Load," Papers WP214, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.