Efficiency Effects of Tax Deductions for Work-Related Expenses
In this paper it is shown that allowing the deduction of work-related expenses has a strictly positive effect on tax efficiency only if two conditions hold jointly: (i) The expenses should be interpretable as real cost and (ii) the expenses should be required for increasing taxable income. Otherwise deductions are inefficient, neutral or ambiguous. Thus it is argued that the cost of commuting to work should not be deductible as commuting does not increase taxable income. The efficiency enhancing effect of deducting other expenses like educational ones or expenses for housework and child care is challenged on the grounds that these expenses are largely pecuniary costs.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wrede, Matthias, 2001. "Should Commuting Expenses Be Tax Deductible? A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 80-99, January.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Jacobs, Bas, 2001.
"Redistribution and Education Subsidies are Siamese Twins,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3099, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lans Bovenberg, A. & Jacobs, Bas, 2005. "Redistribution and education subsidies are Siamese twins," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2005-2035, December.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Jacobs, B., 2001. "Redistribution and Education Subsidies are Siamese Twins," Discussion Paper 2001-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1997. "On the optimality of the Nordic system of dual income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 311-329, February.
- Matthias Wrede, 2000. "Tax Deductibility of Commuting Expenses and Leisures: On the Tax Treatment of Time-Saving Expenditure," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(2), pages 216-, March.
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Roubini, Nouriel, 1998.
"On the taxation of human and physical capital in models of endogenous growth,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 237-254, November.
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Roubini, Nouriel, 1996. "On the Taxation of Human and Physical Capital in Models of Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Trostel, Philip A, 1993. "The Effect of Taxation on Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 327-50, April.
- Pio Baake & Rainald Borck & Andreas Löffler, 2004.
"Complexity and Progressivity in Income Tax Design: Deductions for Work-Related Expenses,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
409, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Pio Baake & Rainald Borck & Andreas L–ffler, 2004. "Complexity and Progressivity in Income Tax Design: Deductions for Work-Related Expenses," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(3), pages 299-312, 05.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005.
"Transport subsidies, system choice, and urban sprawl,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 715-733, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2003. "Transport Subsidies, System Choice, and Urban Sprawl," CESifo Working Paper Series 1090, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nerlove, Marc & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & von Weizsacker, Robert K., 1993. "Comprehensive income taxation, investments in human and physical capital, and productivity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 397-406, March.
- Judd, Kenneth L, 1998. "Taxes, Uncertainty, and Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 289-92, May.
- Baldry, Jonathan, 1998. "Income Tax Deductions for Work-Related Expenses: The Rationale Examined," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1989.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521346627, Junio.
- Julie Hope & Paul Miller, 1988. "Financing Tertiary Education: An Examination of the Issues," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 21(4), pages 37-57.
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1990. "Tax Distortions and Household Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 78-90, January.
- Hoyt, William H., 1991. "Competitive jurisdictions, congestion, and the Henry George Theorem : When should property be taxed instead of land?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 351-370, November.
- Homburg, Stefan, 2010. "Allgemeine Steuerlehre," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92547.
- Krause-Junk, Gerold, 1996. "Umstrittene Kilometerpauschale," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1949 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 76(9), pages 461-463.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.