Unions, Job Reductions and Job Security Guarantees: the Experience of British Employees
A national survey makes it possible to examine employees' awareness of net overall reductions in the size of the workforce along with their awareness of employer policies that promise 'no compulsory redundancies'. Differences are investigated between union and nonunion workplaces, and between unionised workplaces with high membership density and those with low-to-medium density. A union presence increases both job reductions and job security guarantees to employees, and high membership density has some additional effects in the market sector, but not the public sector.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T. & Belfield, Clive R., 2002. "Unions and Employment Growth: The One Constant?," IZA Discussion Papers 479, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- William Brown, 2000.
"Putting Partnership into Practice in Britain,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 299-316, 06.
- William Brown, 2000. "Putting Partnership Into Practice In Britain," Working Papers wp178, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- Stephen Machin, 2000. "Union Decline in Britain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 631-645, December.
- Stephen Machin, 2000. "Union decline in Britain," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20191, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Machin, 2000. "Union Decline in Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0455, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alex Bryson & Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2004. "Do job security guarantees work?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alex Bryson & Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2004. "Do Job Security Guarantees Work?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0661, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gallie, Duncan & White, Michael & Cheng, Yuan & Tomlinson, Mark, 1998. "Restructuring the Employment Relationship," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198294412.
- Blanchflower, David G & Millward, Neil & Oswald, Andrew J, 1991. "Unionism and Employment Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 815-834, July.
- Booth, Alison L & McCulloch, Andrew, 1999. "Redundancy Pay, Unions and Employment," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(3), pages 346-366, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp0745. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.